Can this be right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the second link is for inline of a cannister filter. as long as u have a cannister it will work very well. u may also consider making that rather than buying it. all it is is a peice of pvc pipe with 2 endcaps with the hose fittings. then he added a small fitting for the co2 and filled it up with bioballs. can be made for about 5 bucks fairly easily. if your not a DIY kinda guy then go for it.

mr funktastic said:
the second link is for inline of a cannister filter. as long as u have a cannister it will work very well. u may also consider making that rather than buying it. all it is is a peice of pvc pipe with 2 endcaps with the hose fittings. then he added a small fitting for the co2 and filled it up with bioballs. can be made for about 5 bucks fairly easily. if your not a DIY kinda guy then go for it.
is there a good thread of directions for this kind of reactor? i am not really a DIY pro, but i can follow good directions. :oops:

what produces the CO2? yeast/sugar solution?

thanks!

These are the DIY Inline Reactor Directions that I used with some slight modifications to build my reactors. These can be used either with DIY CO2 or Pressurized CO2 as well as being powered by either a water pump or inline with a canister filter.

Purrbox said:
These are the DIY Inline Reactor Directions that I used with some slight modifications to build my reactors. These can be used either with DIY CO2 or Pressurized CO2 as well as being powered by either a water pump or inline with a canister filter.
will that work better then just piping the CO2 into the intake of my canister and letting it muck about?

It may or may not work any better, but piping it directly into your canister will cause increased wear on the filter and depending on the model could risk causing airlock. It's really your judgement call if your model can handle it.

Purrbox built a reactor for me. I have it installed on my 36 gallon. It works flawlessly and my CO2 levels stay consistently over 30 ppm. I could not be happier with it. She has a great design, and risking an expensive filter is not a great idea.

rich311k said:
Purrbox built a reactor for me. I have it installed on my 36 gallon. It works flawlessly and my CO2 levels stay consistently over 30 ppm. I could not be happier with it. She has a great design, and risking an expensive filter is not a great idea.
ok, guess i have my project for the weekend

thanks
to you all!

Purrbox said:
It may or may not work any better, but piping it directly into your canister will cause increased wear on the filter and depending on the model could risk causing airlock. It's really your judgement call if your model can handle it.

Just a general comment about the causes of an airlock. Airlock is not being caused by the CO2 being injected, but rather by the OTHER substances that replace the CO2 in the bubble. As mentioned before in this thread, the CO2 bubble will shrink quite a bit at first and then stay at a relatively consistent level in the tank. If this was CO2, it would continue to dissolve and the bubble would disappear.

What happens in an airlock situation is the CO2 dissolves into the water and other substances (oxygen, nitrogen, and other gas) replace them in the bubble. These substances are ALREADY at saturation levels (especially oxygen in a pearling tank) in the tank and thus will not dissolve back into the water. What happens is these small bubbles continue to buildup in the canister until you suffer from an airlock where the turbine is no longer moving water, and the end result can be a burnout of the motor.

One way to help prevent this is to have the outlet of the canister much higher than the inlet so the bubble can be dispersed into the water.

But the best method is definately NOT to do this in the first place. Use a reactor like Purrbox has suggested.

I feel this does not apply to HOB filters since there is no risk of airlock (as the CO2 will simply bubble out since its not a closed system), but *might* shorten the life of the impeller due to cavitation and increased wear. I personally use this method on my 20gallon with an AquaClear HOB filter.

HTH

7Enigma said:
I feel this does not apply to HOB filters since there is no risk of airlock (as the CO2 will simply bubble out since its not a closed system), but *might* shorten the life of the impeller due to cavitation and increased wear. I personally use this method on my 20gallon with an AquaClear HOB filter.

HTH
i assume though that a HOB would not dissolve the Co2 as well as the canister...

otherwise i could just pick up a "cheap" HOB and run the co2 into that (saving my canister) am i correct in this?

Purrbox said:
ok i am thinking of trying to build one of these. before i do i want to make sure i exhaust all my options. i have a small submersible water pump(THIS ) it has an airline to run an air line into it, would it do any good to run the airline from my bottles to this for difussion? should i just give in and build the reactor in the link?

Hooking up CO2 to the airline imput probably wouldn't do much good since it looks to be after the impeller and there wouldn't be anything to chop the bubbles up smaller. The pump would be perfectly fine to power a CO2 Reactor on the other hand.

Purrbox said:
Hooking up CO2 to the airline imput probably wouldn't do much good since it looks to be after the impeller and there wouldn't be anything to chop the bubbles up smaller. The pump would be perfectly fine to power a CO2 Reactor on the other hand.
you mean run the reactor you suggested, using the pump? using a intake and output hose? instead of splicing it into my canister (something i am not keen to do)?

JDogg said:
Purrbox said:
ok i am thinking of trying to build one of these. before i do i want to make sure i exhaust all my options. i have a small submersible water pump(THIS ) it has an airline to run an air line into it, would it do any good to run the airline from my bottles to this for difussion? should i just give in and build the reactor in the link?

you may want to look into this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=682733&highlight=#682733

Back
Top Bottom