Can this kind of light grow any plants? What types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
What types of plants can this type of light grow if any? And how long should i leave it on if i have plants? It's a 29 gallon. I also have good lighting from my windows, not too much though. Here's a photo. Sorry it's somewhat blurry. If it's bad tell me to take another.

image-2726980775.jpg

And then i already have this type..id?

image-42861324.jpg

It's the right spectrum, but probably not enough intensity to grow a whole lot. That said, though, I'd still try java ferns, anubias, java moss, crypts, aponogeton, banana plant.

That plant is anacharis.

jetajockey said:
It's the right spectrum, but probably not enough intensity to grow a whole lot. That said, though, I'd still try java ferns, anubias, java moss, crypts, aponogeton, banana plant.

That plant is anacharis.

Thank you! :) i'll try that

This light definitely will grow some plants. I used the same one for my ten gallon for the longest and my plants did surprisingly well!

pleechford said:
This light definitely will grow some plants. I used the same one for my ten gallon for the longest and my plants did surprisingly well!

Yayy!! :D so what kind of plants did you have in it?

smileyface9 said:
Yayy!! :D so what kind of plants did you have in it?

When I had the light I had a java fern, Crypts, Anubis, and 3 amazon sword plants. They all did well except for the sword plants. The swords didn't grow that fast and The leaves grew kinda funny. Overall I'd say it's a good low lighting light if your tank isn't that deep. It worked for me in my little 10g.

Hello! Sorry to invade here....Pleechford, I have the same light and same tank (29gal) it is 19 in deep from top. Is that too deep? I have been asking the same question. Thank you soooo much :)

There would be a big difference in PAR between keeping this light on a 10 gal vs. a 29gal.

On a 29 gal, this light will not grow much. As Jetajockey mentioned, there are a few low light plants that would survive with it (but probably not thrive). A single tube T-8 light is just not a great lighting solution for a lush planted tank.

Thanks for the help Fort! Maybe I'll just start off with silk for now and save up for a better lighting system. It'll be OK to add live plants after I'm well established and have had fish for a while right?

Absolutely no issues with that.

I think if you wanted to try some java fern and java moss now, it would be ok. However, I will say that usually the biggest obstacle to a stunning planted tank is the lighting - and most folks new to planted tanks get awfully frustrated when they try to grow plants under a light not suitable for the task... the plants wither, turn brown and die, and so does the interest of the new hobbyist.

It should also be noted that the light in the first post is 24", meaning it's on a 20 or 29. It won't grow nearly as much as a 15" of the same type on a 10g.

Last edited:
That's my problem, if they're gonna be brown and spotty and not all green and pretty I may as well just wait. I don't want to get discouraged!

fort384 said:
There would be a big difference in PAR between keeping this light on a 10 gal vs. a 29gal.

On a 29 gal, this light will not grow much. As Jetajockey mentioned, there are a few low light plants that would survive with it (but probably not thrive). A single tube T-8 light is just not a great lighting solution for a lush planted tank.

Would aquarium plant firtilizers help any?

mfdrookie516 said:
It should also be noted that the light in the first post is 24", meaning it's on a 20 or 29. It won't grow nearly as much as a 15" of the same type on a 10g.

Yeah I never had luck with sword plants lol.

fort384 said:
With that light, very little if at all.

Thanks. It's just the one it cme with. What kind of light would i need to grow at least low to medium light plants?

Hope you don't mind if I'm following this Smiley. I have the same situation and I'm kinda disappointed. Thinking about going with silk for the time being unless I hear something definate to use and reasonably priced :)

Justme68 said:
Hope you don't mind if I'm following this Smiley. I have the same situation and I'm kinda disappointed. Thinking about going with silk for the time being unless I hear something definate to use and reasonably priced :)

I don't mind at all! :) i have a few plastic plants (haven't tried silk plants) and my fish are happy with it, but i'm thinking of adding real plants when i have money for it.

Back
Top Bottom