Can you guys help me choose a CO2 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought one but it didn't have a timer so I'm returning it. But I'm all out of Excel and I can see my plants declining.
Can you guys recommended a good CO2 system with a timer for a 29 gal tank? Specifics would be amazing as well. I'd rather not spend too much but I'm willing to pay extra for quality. Thanks!Image1506023022.683392.jpg

Why is a timer a requirement? Pretty much any timer will do (will usually need a 3 prong receptacle).
On a budget? AquaTek Premium with CoolTouch solenoid, ~$80 on eBay.
Can splurge? GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums).

Why is a timer a requirement? Pretty much any timer will do (will usually need a 3 prong receptacle).
On a budget? AquaTek Premium with CoolTouch solenoid, ~$80 on eBay.
Can splurge? GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums).

Well it doesn't have to come with one just be compatible. The one I got didn't have a plug or the extra stuff on it, and I'm not about turning it on and readjusting manually twice a day.
Okay thanks! I will check those out!

Does anyone know where to buy a CO2 tank? I got the system but I’ve been to 3 stores and haven’t found a tank yet!
Do you guys get the Sodastream ones or another kind?
The system takes a standard CO2 tank fit.

Amazon or eBay. You can get a 24 oz paintball tank and adaptor. I'm using one for the last 3.5 years. I'm averaging about 3 months between refills. I take it to Dicks Sporting Goods store for refills (~ $5).

So do most people use the paintball ones? Is there a reason for that, since you do need an adaptor.

I think you will find more folks use 5-10 pound and larger tanks. Lower cost overall, less frequent refills, serving larger tanks.
I have a 20g planted tank and run it at around 2 bps. My choice is more for convenience. Sporting good stores (at least that one) are found in several nearby towns.

You can also refill at a welding supply place called praxair, without a tank you will pay a deposit, with a tank it is an exchange

What?! Are they actually all like $60-75???

A 5 LB tank might cost that much. Really depends on where you can get it refilled. I'd switch to a 5-10 LB tank if refills were more convenient.
If the place you bring it for refills swaps out tanks, then I would not invest in a new shiny tank. If they refill the same tank you bring in, then I would.

I get 5 lbs at praxair for 13 dollars. I bought a tank. Wasted that money

Does anyone know where to buy a CO2 tank? I got the system but I’ve been to 3 stores and haven’t found a tank yet!
Do you guys get the Sodastream ones or another kind?
The system takes a standard CO2 tank fit.

I bought my tank at a local welding supply store. they usually have lots. Paid $140CDN, and costs $15Cdn to exchange. By getting them to exchange it, I don't have to worry about ever getting the valve re-certified as they do that everytime the exchange a tank.

I get 4-5months out of my 5lb @ 4bubbles/sec for 8hours a day.

So is spending money on a new tank unavoidable?
NO ,you can "rent" from many welding supply stores.
They just make you leave a deposit[the price of new tank] ,but when you no longer want it you can just return it and get deposit back,which is quicker,easier and guaranteed return on your "investment'.. Keep your receipt.
You also don't care about swaps and certs..
My welding supply swaps and fills so I have my own aluminum 20lb tank..
I had to pay $80 to have it re certified after 5 years..That took like 2-3 weeks.
My welding supply store gave me a 'loaner' while they had mine.

Good point on certification. My current tank expires in 2018. In my case I would simply be getting a new tank on account of the cost (~$30).

Back
Top Bottom