Can you ID this plant? (PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O ALX O

Aquarium Advice Activist
My wife thought this plant was pretty and bought it but I don't know what it is. It is in a 20 tall and is sprouting out these white looking roots from "buds" through out the stems. Can you help me out?

img_763051_0_0412013eb48e7c2a8babd966015ba84b.jpg

img_763051_1_33a53fbd35d0b67be1ec0b306bd6787f.jpg

Thanks in advance!

It is some type of sword. Hard to tell which one. The part with the roots is a runner/flower stalk and those are baby swords growing on it. Congrats it must be happy.

Cool! So do I just let the runners reach the substrate on its own or do I cut them off and plant in substrate? This is the first time I have seen this so I do not know what to do.

hard to tell but it looks like either echinodorus barthii (double-red osiris) or echinodorus bleheri (broadleaved Amazon swordplant)

Just noticed a short while ago that one of the leaves in the center has a reddish/purpleish color bordering the outer portion of the leave. Tried to take a pic of the color but I have a point and shoot digi and it can't focus on the leave close enough to catch the color.

O ALX O said:
Cool! So do I just let the runners reach the substrate on its own or do I cut them off and plant in substrate? This is the first time I have seen this so I do not know what to do.

The runners will tend to grow toward the light......if the buds make it to the surface they will flower.
You can let the runners go until there are a few plants with good roots and then cut the runner at the base then separate the plantlets for planting elsewhere.

Here's a couple pics of it when my sword was flowering.

Kleiner-Bar-Sword-flowers3.jpg

Kleiner-Bar-Sword-flowers.jpg

To maintain the strength of the parent plant. Keeping it down to 3 plantlets is recomended. you can plant the plantlets themselves once they have 3-5 leaves and a few roots.

Almost any sword can blush with some red, young leaves, high light, or even stress can bring it out. I vote for Echinodorus bleheri as well, that is assuming that is not emersed growth on the main plant.

Yes GlitcH That is incredibal! Both pics are emersed pics. And after further research you all are correct it is a echinodorus bleheri! Thanks all for your help. :D

:?: By the way GlitcH did those flowers in that pic you posted have an aroma to them? Just curious. :?:

Thanks Travis and Alx........ya it flowers all the time.
I've gotten quite a few plantlets from it.
And the flowers have only the faintest scent to them.

Back
Top Bottom