can you tell me what this means?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodogcarl

Aquarium Advice Regular
i introduced myself yesterday . . .

but have a question and didn't know where else to post such an, i'm sure, elementary question (if there is a beginner thread, please advise)

what does this mean? is it something other than gravel?

nutrient- and iron-rich substrate

i'm guessing "substrate" is whatever one has in the bottom of the aquarium.

nutrient- and iron-rich substrate

is this something other than gravel?

yeah, but is it gravel? is it soil? and i have another beginner question . . . the guy set up my aquarium brought his own water that he has some filtering system to produce. what does the average aquarium person replace water with . . . how often and how much?

I'm going to take a stab at answering this. So I'm not 100% sure but I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong. can be a learning experience for both of us.

I believe it a substrate for planted tanks so no it wouldn't be gravel it would be like a clay imo. Now let's see if I'm right :)

By the way you should have posted this in the freshwater planted section to get better answers. We don't separate everyone we are all equal here lol
Mods can we move this please

Last edited:
its gravel but has finer particles to it then the normal stuff , if he brought his own water its R/O (reverse osmosis) , you dont have to do R/O the stuff that comes right of your tap will work fine just get your self some good conditioner I like Prime or Amquel , both work great , as to how much water to change I do 20% to 40% weakly

I agree with xwes but also wanted to add that weekly changes are only good if your tank is cycled. If it's not cycled and you have fish then you will need to do more changes most likely. You will need to test your water levels and go from there

what would be the procedure if one already has gravel but maybe would like to have this other substrate instead . . .

You basically just take the fish out, remove the gravel and add the substrate you want. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on water quality after you do this in the event that you have a minicycle, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom