Canister Filter - Eheim or Filstar XP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to decide which type of canister filter I should purchase, I've heard good things about Eheim and also about Filstar XPs. I am leaning more toward the XP due to lower cost and easier installation and set, from what I have read. I'd like to hear from people who have either one or the other and how they feel about the one they have.

Also, if I was to purchase the XP, what size would work the best on my 29 gallon tank? Any thoughts and recommendations are truely welcome.

Many thanks!

Rena Filstar!

You could use an XP3 on a 29. It might be a little overkill, but the extra media storage is always nice. There is an included flow-control for the return, in case the output is too much. At least you'll have a nice big XP3 should you ever need to move it to a larger tank.

I think your right, the XP3 would be wonderful, but a little large for my 29 gallon, I was even thinking that the XP2 was too big, but now I'm even more inclined to go with the XP2.

Will the XP2 hold the same amount of media, comparable to this size of course?

I use an xP1 on my 30 gallon planted tank and it has proven to be the perfect fit. I also got the Hydor ETH inline heater and both items have really uncluttered my tank and my plant growth has been much improved.

The XP series is based on a universal "media tray", each tray has two compartments. The XP1 holds one tray, the XP2 has two, XP3 has three, and the XP4 has four. The pumps have modest flow rate increases with each model in the line. XP1 250gph, XP2 300gph, XP3 350gph, XP4 450gph. Especially considering the cost difference, I'd still suggest the XP3. BigAl's has XP2 for $75 and the XP3 for $90. Also, keep in mind that the flow rates are dependent on your media loading. If you have a full stack in an XP3, I'd bet that the flow rate is halved. I have a bunch of XP3's and most have two 30ppi and two 20ppi sponges and the rest is packed with ceramic or plastic biostars/balls.

I think you'll love the xp2. Its still a little overkill for a 29 but will work fine. The xp2 has 2 large media compartments while the xp3 has 3.

I use the xp2 on my 54g and with some filter floss ( not included ) it keeps my tank crystal clear.

I have the xp3 on my 50g...and honestly I think it overkill on it.The xp3 on a 29 would overkill in a large way imo.

I love the xp series though.Its been a great filter.

Should I order extra media when I purchase the XP2, and if so, can anyone give me suggestions on the media that comes with it and what media would be good for me to add in the basket? What type of media comes with it, sponges, floss, bio rings?

I am also considering adding the Hydor inline heater to the system, I am psyched at the thought of removing some of the clutter in my tank, especially my Aquaclear 70 HOB, which works great but leaves from my plants keep getting sucked in to the out-take piece.

I have Eheim classics, a XP2, and a XP1 on the way as a 2nd filter for my 29G. Personally, I think the Eheims are built better and seem more durable, but the XP series are some VERY nice filters. My XP2 is just as quiet as the Eheims and does a great job of filtering. I like the fact that you have so many different setup options with the media. I use the XP2 on my 46G for both mechanical and biological filtration. The XP1 will go on the 29G primarily for biological filtration, but I will probably put a course sponge in there too.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They are both both at the top of the food chain when it comes to canister filters. I don't think anything else is close (don't get me started on the Fluvals). :roll:

For the money, you're not going to beat the XP's...unless you stumble onto a practically new Ehiem 2217 with media for 60 bucks. :wink:

When I purchased my xp2 (a yr ago) it came with course and fine sponges, also a bag of carbon.

I purchased ceremic rings and filter floss. I'm planted so I don't use the carbon.

I wish I would have ordered the inline heater...now I'm hoping santa brings me one.

The Eheim's are far better then the XP's IMO. I have an XP2 and an Eheim pro II 2026. These two models are made for the same tank size, so it's a fair comparison, but for the price of the Eheim you could have two XP2's. The media compartments of the Eheim are about twice the size of the XP's. The Eheim flow rate is quite a bit more then the XP's. Construction of the Eheim is also top notch with the XP falling alittle short. The XP has the advantage of market support locally. No one around here has media for an Eheim, but they have everything for an XP. The Eheim's priming is also the easiest I have ever used, while the XP's is "I hope I don't have to use it" kinda approach. Both are easy to install and maintain.

In short, Eheim's are the cadillac of cannister filters, where as the XP's are the best for the money cannister filters.

again that was for an Eheim pro II 2026 which is overkill on a 29 gallon tank.

I would recommend an XP2 anyday for that tank. That is what I am running on my 28 gallon tank.

So would it be a good idea for me to purchase bio rings and filter floss along with the XP2? I am going to purchase it today and would like to get the appropriate media while I'm at it. I have a planted tank and do not use carbon, so I'd like to put a sponge and some bio rings in the baskets, would I also be able to add floss, or with two baskets, all you can add it two typs of media? In other words, can I add three types of media to the XP2, even though there are only 2 baskets? Can I fit two types of media in one basket?

Thank you all for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

The filter comes with sponges in the first basket already and those can be rinsed and reused, so no need to purchased those ones. Get the bio rings, but go to Walmart and get "Morning Glory Low loft quilter's ployester batting" for the the filter floss. only costs a couple of bucks and will last atleast a year. It's the same stuff, but a fraction of the cost. Also, don't just walk into the store and purchase it as that price, bring in the web price. I always go to Petsmart and bring in the web price and price match. WAY cheaper that way. when I purchased my XP2 I saved 40 bucks doing that.

Yes you can, I have in order bottom to top, course sponges and then fine sponges both in the bottom basket. The top basket half to three quarters filled with filter floss, then the rings on top.

The water flow on the xp series comes in around the outside and up from the bottom through the media. Thats the reasoning for the order of the media.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Yes, it does make sense to me. As far as going to Walmart, that's one store that is not anywhere near my home, which is so unfortunate for me. So I will have to look elsewhere for the filter floss.

Many thanks.

LindaC said:
Yes, it does make sense to me. As far as going to Walmart, that's one store that is not anywhere near my home, which is so unfortunate for me. So I will have to look elsewhere for the filter floss.

Many thanks.

Well, Walmart or where ever. The point was not to buy the floss at the pet store. 8) And don't forget, don't pay store price. If they will not give it to you at the web price, Petsmart.com has Free shipping until the end of the year. so you have to wait a few days. so what, you saved 40 bucks, thats worth a few days to me. :wink: good luck.

My Eheims have the Eheim media in them, but the Fluvals and the XP2 have plastic (nylon?) pot scrubbers for bio filtration and some of that Walmart floss for polishing/mechanical. You can also find the same stuff at a hobby store like Michaels. My XP2 came with the coarse/fine sponges so I just use them in the bottom basket and potscrubber/floss in the top one.

I use an XP2 on my 29G and it does a fantastic job. I have the sponges in the bottom basket, and ceramic rings in the bottom half of the upper basket, and floss and the fine Filsstar pad in the upper part of the upper basket. Works like a charm. (y)

I think I'm developing a filter fetish. This thread must have inspired me to go out and pick up some more canister filters. At least that's the excuse I'm using.... :roll:

I lucked up on a couple of Ehiem Classics (2217 & 2215) on craigslist (my new favorite website!). The guy was getting out of the hobby due to he and his wife expecting a baby. i guess he was under a bit of pressure to clear stuff out because I got both filter with media for a total of $140.00!!! 8O

These things are practically new. he told me that the 2217 was run for a couple of days before going right back in the box. The 2215 looks just has new but was run a little longer. Either way, I got a great deal and now have enough canisters to take me through the next upgrade....whenever that is.

Now I have 4 Eheims (2217, 2217, 2215, 2213), 2 XP's (XP2, XP1), and 2 Fluval 304's, both of which I will be getting rid of very shortly.

3/4 of the 'Eheim Gang' (2213/2215/2217)
img_729680_0_5cea66c3b6eaa27f8f89a604dbe18aab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom