Canister Filter for a 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocOc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am upgrading to a 55gal. It will be planted if that makes any difference. My present Aquaclear HOB is wonderful. I almost never have to buy anything for it. I just rinse and go.

Can a canister filter get to the same point of not needing to replace anything but the occasional carbon?

Canisters till need the regular maintenance of rinsing the sponges and other media. Sponges last a long time, and floss can be added to help with the finer particles. Plus the floss can be replaced with the carbon as well. Other than that, if you use biomedia like ceramic cylinderss, etc, they never need replacing, jut the occasional rinse.

What wolf said.

I have not bought one thing for my xp3 since I opened the box.
Gotta love it.

You might consider doing away with the carbon. If, down the road you opt to dose extra ferts. the carbon will remove some of them from the water table. I haven't used carbon in a tank for over 20 years. Just not necessary, IMO unless you dose medications and then want to use it to remove them.

If you buy a filstar cannister, buy an XP3 as SCFatz has. I run an XP2 in one of my 55's and don't feel like it is powerful enough for that tank. I need to run a power head to help circulate water.

Len

Whatever you decide, make sure you buy at least 2x the filtration you think you need. My 55G actually has TWO Eheim 2217's on it. I did this because I got both filters at a steal of a price. A combination of a XP3 and your Aquaclear HOB should be enough to adequately filter the 55 and would also be enough for a 75 should you decide to upgrade....and trust me, you WILL want to upgrade at some point.

Thanks for the info. I'm down with the filter floss thing. It makes all the difference in the world when it comes to getting that extra clean look. I press it between two Hagen sponges.
I also go without carbon every now and then. It does help with the occasional funky smell, but I guess if your tank smells bad, there's something wrong.

Someday I will probably upgrade. Right now I'm getting the 55 for free plus some for the Marineland Penguin 400 HOB that I won't need due to my CO2 dosing.

Will I be able to hook my DIY CO2 directly into the canister or its intake?

Penguin 400? Never heard of it. It's the Emperor 400, and it's a very good filter. I have 2 on my 55G, only because with only 1 on the tank, the other end of the tank doesn't get much circulation. So instead of a powerhead, I opted for a 2nd Emperor 400. Now my fire eel makes it his home, lol.

Since you are injecting CO2, the Emperor will gas off some of the CO2, I do agree.... A canister would be a good choice.

Sorry, got confused. I haven't looked at this brand much. I was just looking at DF&S site to figure it out and mixed them up in the post.

Is there a preferred way of getting CO2 into the canister?

A limewood airstone under the intake does very well. That way the filter is taking in very fine bubbles right from the start. Can also use a glass diffuser under the intake as well. I've used both methods, and they work well. But I think the limewood does a better job.

Either that or a DIY inline reactor, or a Reactor 1000.

Back
Top Bottom