canister filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if there is a way to break the siphon on a canister filter in case a seal fails so the whole tank doesent empty.

I would assume that you are talking about the intake tube breaking near the pump and siphoning down to the level of the strainer. easy fix is to drill a siphon break hole. this is a small hole drilled to what is usually under the water level, then if this did happen, once the water level gets down to this hole it starts pulling in air and breaks the siphon.

Just wondering if there is a way to break the siphon on a canister filter in case a seal fails so the whole tank doesent empty.

I've never heard of this happening. Are you asking if a gasket or o-ring degrades and the caniser loses vacuum? In that case your tank won't empty on the floor as the motorhead will still be pumping water back into your tank. At worst you will have a water leak around the canister that can be dried up with a hand towel.

If you are worried about a hose coming unconnected from your canister, well that doesn't just happen on its own. Secure your hoses tightly with clamps and be careful when moving your filter.

Lets say you are gone on vacation for 2 weeks and during that time a seal breaks and the canister filter starts to leak. If you have a siphon break then you drain maybe 5 gallon into a bucket instead of the whole tank on the floor. What I am wondering is what is the best way to do this?

if the canister starts to leak it wont just pour all over your floor, as the pump is mechanical and still pumping back into the tank.

I know... what I am worried about is a slow leak that may start while I am away. The water will add up.

I would put a towel around the canister then. Your tank wont leak out, at worst you might get a pint or two over a week on a bad leak. I would rather have a leak from a worn out gasket get soaked up with a towel then break the siphon on the filter. If you aren't around and the siphon breaks there is nothing to turn the motor off. You will end up shredding your impeller and burning out the motor once the water is pumped out of the canister back into your tank. You will end up destroying your filter, the bacteria in your filter, and possibly your fish. All this to keep a few oz of water off the floor.

Don't worry about it. With regular maitenence and changing the gaskets and o-rings when they start to wear out you will not have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom