canister filter use with internal overflow box tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Boy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a hard time eliminating surface film in my 29 gallon planted tank. At first I used the Hagen surface skimmer with my Eheim canister filter, but the connection between the two kept breaking. I am now using the expensive Eheim surface extractor, but it requires almost daily tinkering. Even slight changes in water level due to evaporation throw it off.

I now have my eye on a SeaClear 50 gallon acrylic tank with internal overflow box. I hope that an overflow box will mean the end of surface film -- which impedes light penetration and gas exchange. I intend to use a canister filter on this tank. Here are my questions:

1) Can I run a canister filter on an overflow box tank (I'm worried about extra pressure on the pump)?

2) If so, what special hardware would I need to do this (I'm thinking about the intake and the return)?

An easier solution, if using a canister filter with a spray bar, would be to aim the spray bar such that it is slightly upwards and causes the water surface to ripple slightly without breaking. This should get rid of the surface scum and keep it from coming back, plus if you are injecting CO2 shouldn't cause much if any CO2 loss. If the surface scum still stubbornly sticks around, then I would suspect that you aren't performing frequent enough (large enough) water changes.

Yep.......that's what I do with my Eheim 2215. Works like a charm.

You should be able to use the canister with the overflow compartment, but may need to constantly top off water. With too much evaporation in the main, water will no longer enter the overflow chamber and the canister will run dry. With a sump instead of canister this would not be a problem since the water line in the main will stay constant (enough to allow water to enter the overflow).

Back
Top Bottom