Canister filter water return...how far below surface....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
How far below should I keep it so CO2 doesn't outgas, but I get enough O2? Right now, I have it setup about 3 inches below the surface...the water is moving on the top, but the fish started to run out of O2 after about a day. Right now I have a bubble stone in there until I find the right height.

New lights come on Monday and that should help the plants to make O2, and I will be doing DIY CO2 soon after.

Prior to this, the tank had a biowheel, so it had plenty of O2 in it.

Thanks for helping.

From the waterline to the middle of the spraybar its 1.25 inches on my tank. From top of tank to spraybar is 3 inches. I have my spraybar pointed slightly down about 10-15 degrees. But I also have a HOB since I don't inject, so I don't know if this will help or not.

Why not just lower the water level till you find a comfortable area for the fish? It'll be easier than moving the spraybar up and down.

Disturbing the water's surface is what creates gas exchange: CO2 leaves, O2 enters.
at 3" down, if its perfectly level, it shouldn't agitate the surface at all, so next to no gas exchange occurs.

Back
Top Bottom