Can't grow stem plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarkm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone , I had a question for anyone with knowledge. I have a 58 gallon planted tank , finnex planted + , metricide 14 dosed every morning and seachem flourish 2x a week. Currently getting good growth from dwarf sag with multiple runners , amazon swords , java fern , micro chain sword , anubias pretty much all the plants are growing well.

Now , I have tried 7 different stem plants In the last 6 months and everyone of them have died. Anacharis, penny wort , hygro , bacoppa , wisteria , rotalle, and currently have water sprite. None of them have grown at all. Most just collected algae and died. Currently the water sprite is not dieing but it's not growing at all. What could be the cause of this ? Really wish I could grow some beautiful stem plants.

You need more ferts, at least get some api leaf zone to round out the flourish.. you could also get the full Seachem line. Orrrrrr get a gla dry ferts pack and do it right.. I dose seachem atm, same light and metricide.. check.out the bacopa after a little over a month..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401849129322.jpg
    1401849129322.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 95
metricide/Excel/API CO2 booster melts anacharis, so that's why that one didn't do well.

The others shouldn't have been a problem. I've had rotala indica go insane with Seachem Flourish Comp, Excel and Seachem Trace.

Ya I have been looking into the pps pro fert pack that I see mentioned a lot on here. Thanks

Growing Stem Plants

Hello clark...

Floating (stem) plants take in water nutrients through their leaves, so you don't need high end fertilizers. Since these plants are leaf feeders, they take in large amounts of nutrients, so over fertilizing will hurt them, plus putting a lot of ferts into the tank can create water chemistry problems, unless you 're changing a lot of tank water.

I didn't see Hornwort on your list of attempts. It's pretty tolerant of most water conditions. Attached is a pic of a 45 G tall with nothing floating but Hornwort. It grows with just the fertilizer provided by the fish and large, frequent water changes. Give it a try. Its inexpensive and available at the local pet stores.

B

img_2962220_0_ca96ec33025ecaa513a0699ca0352f80.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It can, it's all about finding a balance between lighting/ferts/carbon.. it can be a pita..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did have hornwort but it was strictly a floating plant for me. I am wanting more of a stem plant that I can plant and have it grow. Hornwort grew good for me under my old t5ho light but since switching to planted+ led it has died off and started shedding its leaves.

Are you spacing the stems out ? If they are planted too close they won't get enough light. You usually want to space them out with leaves not quite touching. Rounding out your Ferts is good advice.

Also check your flow. You may need to move your water around a bit more so your Ferts are evenly distributed.

What is your photoperiod ?
Planted tanks only need about 6 hours of light a day.
Algae is indicator of an imbalance somewhere.

Too much light
Over feeding
Not enough water changes
Or Not the right Ferts

Once you find the right combo you'll be set

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I could use more water flow than what I get from my filters. I will have to figure out how to get more water flow.
My photo period is from 8-11 am and 3-7 pm about 7 hours a day. I only get algae on the stem plants after awhile because there is no growth. No other plants have algae on them currently. I change 50% of the water every Saturday so I know that's not the issue. I'm thinking I need more ferts and possibly water flow.

I think I could use more water flow than what I get from my filters. I will have to figure out how to get more water flow.
My photo period is from 8-11 am and 3-7 pm about 7 hours a day. I only get algae on the stem plants after awhile because there is no growth. No other plants have algae on them currently. I change 50% of the water every Saturday so I know that's not the issue. I'm thinking I need more ferts and possibly water flow.

Small koralia powerheads are often used in planted tanks. Spread nutrients and co2 around better

Is this bright green growth coming out to the side off my water sprite a new plant or just a big branch of leaves. Should I cut it off and plant it ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402096236.325462.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402096255.280521.jpg

Back
Top Bottom