carbon in planted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a used emperor a week ago, and i went to the pet store and bought two cartridges for it. The cartridges contain carbon in the back, and i was thinking of cutting the cartridge and poring it out. I researched, and opinions on carbon in planted tanks vary. I use root tabs and will get metricide 14 in the future. Will it take the nutrients from the tank?

There was another thread posted this week asking the same question. No it won't hurt.

It is not necessary , except for removing medication , but in plant tanks it's pretty useless. If you want to use pads that I have Carbon in them that's fine. Just keep using them until they fall apart. Rinse them in used tank water or dechlorinated tapwater so the BB doesn't die.

In some filters that have room for it, you can just add extra filter floss for more surface for BB.

Another reason aquaclear filters are so popular because you have room to add more media instead of the carbon.

My Aqueon HOB filter pads with internal carbon are about 4-6 months old. I just keep swishing them around in used tank water to clear off the gunk and putting them back in the filter.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was another thread posted this week asking the same question. No it won't hurt.

It is not necessary , except for removing medication , but in plant tanks it's pretty useless. If you want to use pads that I have Carbon in them that's fine. Just keep using them until they fall apart. Rinse them in used tank water or dechlorinated tapwater so the BB doesn't die.

In some filters that have room for it, you can just add extra filter floss for more surface for BB.

Another reason aquaclear filters are so popular because you have room to add more media instead of the carbon.

My Aqueon HOB filter pads with internal carbon are about 4-6 months old. I just keep swishing them around in used tank water to clear off the gunk and putting them back in the filter.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took out the carbon and am thinking about putting either matrix or floss in the cartridge where the carbon was. I was gonna get an ac110 but this emperor was 10 dollars and i'm have limited funds, so that is why I got the emperor. I have an ac30 on a ten gallon and I love it.

Chemical Medium

I got a used emperor a week ago, and i went to the pet store and bought two cartridges for it. The cartridges contain carbon in the back, and i was thinking of cutting the cartridge and poring it out. I researched, and opinions on carbon in planted tanks vary. I use root tabs and will get metricide 14 in the future. Will it take the nutrients from the tank?

Hello FW...

A couple of things to consider. Chemical (carbon) filtration media isn't needed, provided you keep the tank water clean with regular water changes. So, you can save that money. If you keep dark green, low light plants, that are easy to grow, you don't need added fertilizers, only what the fish produce. You can save more money by not buying fertilizers. Just feed the fish a little of a variety of flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods.

B

Hello FW...

A couple of things to consider. Chemical (carbon) filtration media isn't needed, provided you keep the tank water clean with regular water changes. So, you can save that money. If you keep dark green, low light plants, that are easy to grow, you don't need added fertilizers, only what the fish produce. You can save more money by not buying fertilizers. Just feed the fish a little of a variety of flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods.

B

This tank is actual medium light and I am running a c220 canister on it too. I keep up on my PWCs, so I will probably leave the cartridge empty since I am short on money.

Back
Top Bottom