Carbon sources, don't be too harsh!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, this could be a really stupid question and I am sure will get some replies like DUH but I have to ask.

Carbon comes in many forms, the most common being coal and graphite that are accesible for little money. Is there any reason one of these or some other type of carbon can't be added to the tank and slowly dissolve providing a carbon source?

I know there are issues of dissolving it, the form may not be useable by plants etc but I have to ask just in case there is anything that might work.

neither coal nor graphite is water soluble, so its not gonna be in a form the plants can use.

you are quite limited to some form of CO2 system, Excel, or the active ingredient in excel, Gluteraldehyde...which is not something you wanna play with, as it is considered a semi-hazzardous chemical...gotta be safe when handling it.

lol have u thought DIY co2? its really not that hard and will give u what u have been asking for in your last 4 post lol jk jk. why are u trying to avoid co2 so much? or are u just trying to find an easier method?

Just trying to see if there is an easier method, and just trying to learn something. I just had to ask, couldn't resist. I have DIY CO2, two 2 liter bottles on each my 10 gallon tanks to I have a source. Just one of those things I thought about and had to see if there was actually a source that can be used.

Was just a thought, is why I had to say don't be too harsh, didn't want to sound too stupid while asking a stupid question.

It would be nice though because with four 2 liter bottles it is going to be difficult to get even close to consistant levels now that winter is coming. My house stays at about 65 all winter with massive electric bills so my tanks suffer all winter.

That and no one carries Excel locally so buying only that is going to cost me twice as much as the excel costs because of shipping.

fish_4_all said:
Just trying to see if there is an easier method, and just trying to learn something. I just had to ask, couldn't resist. I have DIY CO2, two 2 liter bottles on each my 10 gallon tanks to I have a source. Just one of those things I thought about and had to see if there was actually a source that can be used.

Was just a thought, is why I had to say don't be too harsh, didn't want to sound too stupid while asking a stupid question.

It would be nice though because with four 2 liter bottles it is going to be difficult to get even close to consistant levels now that winter is coming. My house stays at about 65 all winter with massive electric bills so my tanks suffer all winter.

That and no one carries Excel locally so buying only that is going to cost me twice as much as the excel costs because of shipping.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18480/si1380292/cl0/seachemflourishexcel4liter

This even with $8 shipping will easily make it cheaper than purchasing locally (if you had a LFS nearby). I would just wait a bit until you have another purchase and offset the shipping costs (from $35 to $50 the shipping only goes up by $1).

Back
Top Bottom