care of blyxa japonica

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know about blyxa japonica. Do u need a co2 tank for it. Any help would be great

You don't have to have co2, I have it in tanks both with and without co2...it needs pretty strong lighting though. IMO, if you're not close to the need of co2, it's not going to do any good

Along with strong lighting you will probably need to dose some ferts. My autodosers have ran dry and my blyxa is already starting to reabsorb itself. It grows like weeds in my 30g with 3wpg, pressurized co2 and PPS Pro autodosers.

Along with strong lighting you will probably need to dose some ferts. My autodosers have ran dry and my blyxa is already starting to reabsorb itself. It grows like weeds in my 30g with 3wpg, pressurized co2 and PPS Pro autodosers.

I would agree, although I dont have my co2 or autodosers set up yet since the move, and mine is still growing like crazy. Maybe its the flourite/floramax mix and potting soil that's doing it.

Honestly that sounds complicated. I want that plant but the last post makes it seem hard. I have 2 I think 15 Watt lights in it will that be okay

Two things that would be kind of close IMO, would be star grass and dwarf sag... the star grass looks more like it than the dwarf sag, but the dwarf sag is still really cool looking.

I would agree, although I dont have my co2 or autodosers set up yet since the move, and mine is still growing like crazy. Maybe its the flourite/floramax mix and potting soil that's doing it.

That could be the trick then. I do have eco in this tank but I'm pretty convinced it is no better than regular aquarium gravel or PFS, supplemented with tabs.

blyxa isn't a very demanding plant, but like other plants, it does alot better with co2/ferts. I have way better success in tanks with a high cec substrate versus straight sand/root tabs, but that's veering off topic a bit.

Back
Top Bottom