Carpet plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carpet Plants

I have a ten gallon tank and am wondering what are good plants that make a carpet?

Hello Justin...

I have a little taller carpet in my planted 45 G tall and used Anubias nana. It takes subdued lighting and even though it grows slowly, it's low very low maintenance. Doesn't need high end fertilizer, just uses what the fish produce.

Pretty simple.

B

Hello Justin...

I have a little taller carpet in my planted 45 G tall and used Anubias nana. It takes subdued lighting and even though it grows slowly, it's low very low maintenance. Doesn't need high end fertilizer, just uses what the fish produce.

Pretty simple.

B

Thanks for your help! Can you have carpet plants with sand though?

Thanks for your help! Can you have carpet plants with sand though?

Hehe yes you absolutely can. Sand imho is quite a bit superior as a planting media imho.

What plants were you thinking of and what lights do you have? Also, what size tank do you have?

Hehe yes you absolutely can. Sand imho is quite a bit superior as a planting media imho.

What plants were you thinking of and what lights do you have? Also, what size tank do you have?

I have a ten gallon and have LEDs that came with it...I'm not really sure what to plant though

I have a ten gallon and have LEDs that came with it...I'm not really sure what to plant though

Imho crypt parva would be your best bet. You could also.use the anubias that bbradbury mentioned. The only problem is that they are both very slow growers so will take a long long time to carpet.

Another thing you could try is attaching either java fern or java moss to a mesh screen. I've never personally done it with java fern but I know the java moss would work.

[ QUOTE=Mebbid;2960843]Imho crypt parva would be your best bet. You could also.use the anubias that bbradbury mentioned. The only problem is that they are both very slow growers so will take a long long time to carpet.

Another thing you could try is attaching either java fern or java moss to a mesh screen. I've never personally done it with java fern but I know the java moss would work.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get your plants?

The last time I bought aquarium plants was from AquariumPlants.com which I honestly wan't happy with.

Peabody's paradise would be my #1 choice as it's ran by Jetajockey - A forum member.

Another place is the classifieds here.

I'm with Mebbid. I've found Peabody's Paradise to be very responsive to emailed pre-sale questions. They stock some very nice carpeting plants, too. I just got some from there, including Staurogyne repens and HC aka Dwarf Baby Tears. I've been delighted with what I got there.

If you want a low light low tech plant that you can make a pretty nice carpet with, you can always try dwarf sag. You can keep it smaller and more compact by pulling out any tall leaves that spring up.

Sometimes it's good to try a few different plants and find out what you like and what likes your tank.

Last edited:
I'm with Mebbid. I've found Peabody's Paradise to very responsive to emailed pre-sale questions. They stock some very nice carpeting plants, too. I just got some from there, including Staurogyne repens and HC aka Dwarf Baby Tears. I've been delighted with what I got there.

If you want a low light low tech plant that you can make a pretty nice carpet with, you can always try dwarf sag. You can keep it smaller and more compact by pulling out any tall leaves that spring up.

Sometimes it's good to try a few different plants and find out what you like and what likes your tank.

What about regular plants...what do you recommend

My favorite place is any local store that supplies a plant you like the look and size of. I've gotten several nice plants for super cheap that way. Even your main chain stores sell decent product in their snail free packages.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My favorite place is any local store that supplies a plant you like the look and size of. I've gotten several nice plants for super cheap that way. Even your main chain stores sell decent product in their snail free packages.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom