Carpeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Id like to maybe carpet part of my tank. I guess this means moss and the like.
I have low light (limited by the tank and attatched hood)
Small 2-3mm standard gravel as substrate.
Any idea's or suggestions on what to use? Ive looked at a few different options but was wondering what you guys suggest since you may have experience in this unlike me.

Unfortunately there is not much in the way of low light plants that will carpet. You are pretty much limited to mosses, like flame, java, and xmas moss. You will have to "train it" to get it to carpet, as it will not just naturally grow that way. You can use mesh, hairnets, etc.

riccia is not going to do well in a low light setup. It might stay green for awhile, but it won't grow much, and unless it is floating right under the light, it will die. It also doesn't carpet... It has to be tied to something to stay on the bottom.

Ok I guess i'll be getting a piece of slate, and mesh some moss onto it, or possibly get some ridgid mesh, like needlepoint mesh, but with bigger holes and sandwich some moss between. :S
Any advise which moss to go with, christmas, flame or java (I already have java on some driftwood.)

Back
Top Bottom