Catastrophic Event

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smittyjr18

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well i had a 55 Gal with 3 discus and was planted all nice, my little girl knocked over my homemade CO2 bottle and the liquid got in the tank with out me knowing, so i lost everything. :bawl:I blame myself for putting it in reach of her, so i have 55 Gal with 2 55 Watt CF. My question is i don't want the same event to unfold again so i am going to look at compressed CO2. What is my best choices? $$$ is not a concern. I want to do it right. When i had the DIY co2 it worked but then the water would turn all green after about 2 or 3 weeks. I have read where that is caused by to much light and not enought CO2. I plan to do a planted tank, so i need some suggestions on a CO2 system.

Lots of us use the Milwaukee MA957 system. You can get them on ebay for about $85 shipped, they come with the regulator, bubble counter and a needle valve. Then, you just need a CO2 tank (try a local beer shop or Robert's Oxygen), some tubing, and a diffusion method, and you're all set.

I have seen systems with the PH intergration with the C02 units. Would that be a good by as well?

A pH controller allows you to fully automate your CO2 injection by targeting a specific ph level and corresponding CO2 level. It's a nice to have, but not necessary. If you want to have the extra control over your CO2 levels and the extra expense isn't a concern then by all means get one. On the other hand if you want to reduce possible points of failure, don't wan't to have maintain quite so much equipment, or don't want to spend as much it can easily be skipped.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had similar experiances with DIY. Got a pressurized system and never looked back.

Along with the regulator and tubing a drop checker and a reference solution is very helpfull as well.

I will get the PH controller, but how much C02 do you inject or does the PH controller does that based on the PH level compaired to desolved CO2?

Correct. You set it for the PH level you want and the controller adds CO2 as needed to maintain the given PH.

So sorry for your loss. I have had my 3 yr old kill several of my fish as well (three discus in fact were fed to death)

Even with a controller it is a good idea to have a drop checker and refrence solution. It was immensely helpful to me in getting the right CO2 level set.

Also remember to re-calibrate the pH probe every 6 mo to a year or so.

How do i know if that is the right amount of Co2 for the plants and that is not to much for the fish?

30 ppm is a good target. The plants will be happy, the algae wont like it and the fish will be just fine. I run mine about 35ppm with no fish problems.

Back
Top Bottom