Catching fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
How does everyone catch their fish? I am having a hard time catching them with nets and don't know of any other way.

I generally grab them with my hand... unless its small fish like tetras. Rainbows, and any cichlids I've ever had have always been caught with my hands. Much easier to do, and much better for the fish IMO.

I generally grab them with my hand... unless its small fish like tetras. Rainbows, and any cichlids I've ever had have always been caught with my hands. Much easier to do, and much better for the fish IMO.

How do you catch them without hurting them? Even my africans swim so fast I don't know if I could catch them by hand. Unless I tricked them with food or something...maybe. They will eat right out of my hand and let me touch them on occasion, but I imagine they'd freak out if I tried to actually grab them.

by having my hands in the tank a lot, they naturally get comfortable. they nibbled on my hands when I would reach in to do stuff. Made grabbing them easy. Think about how their fins get caught up in the net. Nets are much harder on fish than people think.

Try this, make the room as dark as possible, shut off all tank lights and wait 5-10 minutes. Take a very bright flashlight and shine it on the fish you want to catch. He should be temorarly blinded and you should be able to net him. Its worked for me more than once. Good luck

redneckgearhead said:
Try this, make the room as dark as possible, shut off all tank lights and wait 5-10 minutes. Take a very bright flashlight and shine it on the fish you want to catch. He should be temorarly blinded and you should be able to net him. Its worked for me more than once. Good luck

I will have to try that sometime haha! Makes sense I guess. I know I dont like bright lights when I wake up.

I thought the fish had skin mucus and it is bad to touch them and might cause ich or something? I dont think It would be possible for me. Also I will have to look at that link for the trap, thanks.

Nope... a dry hand might, but its kinda hard to keep your hand dry and reach in the tank. Every breeder and good lfs I've been to always uses their hands to get fish. Even if they just catch the fish with the net and use their hand to get it out of the net in to the bag. If you're scared to, that's fine, I understand some people would rather not touch fish. But don't be afraid to because you think you'll hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom