catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WisChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
About to start cycling (once I have my plants) and am wondering about catfish. Doing a heavily planted Amazon theme with driftwood. My stocking plan is a pair of Apistos, some pencil fish and/or hatchets & neon tetras. So, for the cleaning crew, I'm looking at Corys and Otocinclus.

Is it critical to have both cats in a heavily planted tank:confused:

Also, aqadvisor says minimum 3 oto's and min 4 on the corys:ermm:

An experience with species or the mins greatly appreciated:thanks:

Oh yeah, you have enough room for 3 Ottos and I'd go for five Corys but four would work too. I would hold off on the Ottos until the tank is several months old as they need lots of biofilm to eat. They'll eat some algae but only as they get the biofilm off it. I wouldn't put but 3 or 4 fish in while cycling. If you go fish in, be sure and watch your water parameters closely and be prepared for water changes. OS.

Skip the otos and choose between the cories and a BN pleco IMO.

He may not want a pleco as they are poop machines and he's wanting to push to the stocking limit. But yes it is a viable choice and they are tougher than Ottos.

Stocking Plan & Cats

Otto's are considered "must-have" by many planted tankers, so thought I'd follow that advice once algae/biofilms develop.

Ottos and Cory's occupy slightly different niches, just don't want to deplete too much of my stocking capacity with the clean-up crew :facepalm:

Aq advisor says this plan ok with my canister filter (Marineland C-220):

Dwarf Apitso's x 2
Pencilfish x 5
Neon Tetra x 6
Cory x 4
Otto x 3
Marble Hatchetfish x 5

I may need to choose between hatchets or pencils:confused:

He may not want a pleco as they are poop machines and he's wanting to push to the stocking limit. But yes it is a viable choice and they are tougher than Ottos.

They may have a higher bioload than otos, but they are far less likely to die. And dead fish crash tanks. If you have a source for quality otos without massive die-off, please let me know ASAP.

Otto's are considered "must-have" by many planted tankers, so thought I'd follow that advice once algae/biofilms develop.

Ottos and Cory's occupy slightly different niches, just don't want to deplete too much of my stocking capacity with the clean-up crew :facepalm:

Aq advisor says this plan ok with my canister filter (Marineland C-220):

Dwarf Apitso's x 2
Pencilfish x 5
Neon Tetra x 6
Cory x 4
Otto x 3
Marble Hatchetfish x 5

I may need to choose between hatchets or pencils:confused:

For a 26, I think you are exactly right. You'll need to choose between the pencils which need very clean water and the hatchets which are more robust, but will jump if the tank isn't set up right or completely covered.

If it were me and I was going for a display tank, I'd go with the pair of apistos, a school of tetra, and either cories (6) or a single BN. JMO.

OK ASAP HN1
The Wet Spot in Portland Oregon. Ask to talk to Anthony Perry. They have contracted people who catch the Ottos using certified natural methods without poisons. They are big enough to call the shots about there stock. That's why I bought my Ottos from them and I never lost a single one. But you are correct that a BN Pleco is a much hardier fish. OS.

Last edited:
OK ASAP HN1
The Wet Spot in Portland Oregon. Ask to talk to Anthony Perry. They have contracted people who catch the Ottos using certified natural methods without poisons. They are big enough to call the shots about there stock. That's why I bought my Ottos from them and I never lost a single one. But you are correct that a BN Pleco is a much hardier fish. OS.

I know Anthony and Wet Spot quite well. I'll hit him up on FB and get the details. I'm definitely interested if that's the case.

That aside, I wouldn't recommend a type of fish that you know of ONE good source for. The sad truth is that the vast majority of Otos that make it to the hobby, don't make it very long. I was going for high percentage success advice.

If you read again I said that if he wanted Ottos that he should hold off until the his tank was older and more established. I didn't recommend him using them for cycling. You are absolutely correct in stating that a Pleco is a hardier fish. Has it ever occurred to you that not everybody likes or wants a Pleco? And I WILL recommend a fish from a good retailer to someone. OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom