CF Lighting Heating Tank Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a CurrentUSA Dual Satellite Fixture on my tank and noticed today that during the middle of the day cycle my tank water is getting up to 82 degrees and my fish were breathing heavily. Normal tank temp for me is like 76.

I've got the fixture on top of the tank with a piece of plexiglass between it and the tank to prevent my rainbows from jumping out (I learned the hard way about that). Does anyone else have their tank warm up during the day part of their lighting cycle? Should I turn down my heater to compensate for this? Thanks for your input on how to deal with this.

I have a Satellite fixture. I have it up on legs and I have no heat issues. Maybe try using the legs to lift it up a little for some air flow?

The thermostat on the heater will keep the heater off when the temp is above the setpoint - so turning down the heater won't help.

Like rich311k said, some legs will help a lot (assuming you are not using them already).

I had a CF light resting on the glass top, and my water temperature rose to 88 degrees at the end of the day (heater is set for 80-81 degrees). I made some DIY legs about 1 1/4 inches high, and I no longer have a heat buildup problem. My glass top is a lot cleaner on the underside since water doesn't evaporate from it anymore.

I am considering a Current USA fixture. It will be the same wattage as my light now, but the Current USA has the legs available. My old light has no track for leg attachment. When I open the lid to feed or fertilize, it's a pain to remove the light and set up my DIY legs again.

DrsFosterSmith.com does sell the legs for Current USA lights, but they are out of stock until April 6.

I have the Current USA Orbit and it came with legs which keeps the heat away.

Mine didn't happen to come with legs so I just put it flat on the tank like my last light fixture. I'm going to check the heater to see if it automatically turns off or not. I don't think it does. Perhaps a new heater would help.

If it didn't turn off your temps would just keep getting higher. If it it is at 76 before lights on the the heater is working fine it is the light heating up the water. Try a couple peices of wood to lift the light a little. If the temps stay cooler add the legs.

If raising the fixture up doesn't work another method, as posted above, is to rig up some fans to cool the water. Relatively cheap to do and it works.

There used to be little kits on eBay for this. Not sure if any are still being sold or not.

Back
Top Bottom