CFL lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketravis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had an old cfl hood 3 portal laying around and just wanted to know if these lights are good I have 3 12w 6500k 810L I was also thinking if I got different bulb type I could reach multiple max spectrums... im still confused on what colors means moss and wich one will be better for plants.. I can post a picture of the container of the bulbs if needed or the hood. Please let me know how I did or if I will be takeing a trip to home depot again.

Thanks!

Ohh and its a 20 gallon long

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any body?

With that light you should at least have low to medium lighting. I am using spiral CFL bulbs over my 5 gallon and 10 gallon tanks and can grow high light plants. The 5 gallon has one 23 watt, 6500k bulb hung around 10 inches above the tank. My 10 gallon has two 26 watt, 6500K CFL bulbs around 8 inches above the tank. I have to use CO2 or I get algae. You want to stay in the 6500k to 800k range. Most use 6500k daylight bulbs. You can get really good plant growth with that k value. You can up the lighting intensity with a higher watt bulb but check the light fixture to see how strong of a bulb you can use. Most have a little sticker that tells you the max watt of bulb you can use.

Alrighty thankyou

Back
Top Bottom