Change Out Current Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all I am seriously wanting to do a full natural planted aquarium...
I think I need to start with changing out my gravel substrate. I am really partial to the light colors in my tank but I dont think I can do that with the substrate I will need.

How do I go about changing my substrate out without overly stressing my fish? I was reading the articles for a planted tank to see what I would want to use- but nothing on changing out current substrate.

Or could I add sand to my current substrate to help roots establish? I never did an all out planted 'garden' :3 At least these I wont forget to water (haha sorry could not help it- my cacti died from not being watered enough :/ ))

:thanks:

I just did this! For the fish, I moved them into a smaller tank. That was the best way to keep them from being stressed.

Once the fish were in the smaller tank, I drained the big tank, scooped out the old substrate, and poured in the new.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class

I just did this! For the fish, I moved them into a smaller tank. That was the best way to keep them from being stressed.

Once the fish were in the smaller tank, I drained the big tank, scooped out the old substrate, and poured in the new.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

+1 this is what I would have done had I not sold the fish prior to setting up my planted tank

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm *nods* I am cycling a 5 right now, I wonder if they will be okay in that- 2 danios, 2 rasboras, a loach, a betta and a snail. Do I need to worry about my bacteria with pulling out all my substrate along with draining the tank? :3

What did you put in? Are you doing a planted too? Or are you like me and like to change things up every so often? :lol:

Hmm *nods* I am cycling a 5 right now, I wonder if they will be okay in that- 2 danios, 2 rasboras, a loach, a betta and a snail. Do I need to worry about my bacteria with pulling out all my substrate along with draining the tank? :3

What did you put in? Are you doing a planted too? Or are you like me and like to change things up every so often? :lol:

They will survive temporarily. It's better than freaking them out with the substrate change.

Speaking of substrate: I am doing a planted tank, too. I did a layer of Eco-Complete with Tahitian Moon Sand over top for shimmer.

My rescape is here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329154

Good luck!! I'm learning about planted tanks, too, so I'm still on a learning curve.

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

I am looking into a few different Eco-Complete options. I think I was going to lava rock maybe cause I think they look pretty awesome! XD Though the moon sand sounds pretty for the girly in me for the shimmer affect :angel:

Perhaps we can learn together then ;) I may pick your brain in PM if thats okay?

Here is the current set up, I wanted to restock my tank but I think it will be best to wait until this conversion is done.

72323-albums14277-picture68298.jpg

Perhaps we can learn together then ;) I may pick your brain in PM if thats okay?

Of course! I'm more than happy to do whatever I can to help ☺️

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Here is the current set up, I wanted to restock my tank but I think it will be best to wait until this conversion is done.

72323-albums14277-picture68298.jpg

Hi, I'm getting back into the hobby and going full planteds this time. Tried potting soil - prolly won't do that again. Currently using CaribSea's Flora Max in a 5 gal (see my albums). It's an overall reddish-brown but not mono-color & has a bunch of minerals including iron but won't change pH. This tank isn't cycled yet & only houses 5 dwarf shrimp and a nerite snail. Bowl with potting soil houses a Betta, & lightly planted at moment because I moved some plants to the 5 gal. I also have a bag of Fluval Plant Stratum on the way, which at the moment is redundant, but that's another story. :whistle:
I agree with just moving out the residents. In my uncycled 5g tank I'm doing 20 - 30% WC per day because of shrimp. Am currently running a bio-filter in there, too, for same two reasons. Goal is to get it to Walstad state, where there's no intervention except for very occasional WCs. Will eventually also house a small school of Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasboras).

Anyway, there are a few products to choose from out there besides the one you mentioned, just FYI. :D

It seems that black is my only real option for a planted tank. I have flourite in my 20 still... I wonder if it would still work? :/ Rather than trying to find something lighter. I could add some white gravel for a black/white look though that may be cool- I have my 5 gallon with flourite black and the white from my current tank. So rather than doing a full change just do a partial? I mean since I have Flourite already (and totally tired of all black ha)

Or should I go full black? It did 'okay' in my other plants in my 20 I am not totally convinced that Flourite is really worth the hype...

Go for it! I was also thinking you could just use fertilizers on the gravel you have now and layer a matching sand color over top of it, making it all white...

Either way will look awesome, no doubt!

? Diana Lee ?

36g Rescape in Progress!

Sorry Ulmina- I miss typed that- darks are all I can find online for a plant substrate color. Not just black, but the reds are dark too ( I am not usually so picky with colors)

I really like the way the 5 looks with black and white gravel. Is aquarium gravel too heavy for carpeting plants? Or is that were the sand comes in? :D

Sorry Ulmina- I miss typed that- darks are all I can find online for a plant substrate color. Not just black, but the reds are dark too ( I am not usually so picky with colors)

I really like the way the 5 looks with black and white gravel. Is aquarium gravel too heavy for carpeting plants? Or is that were the sand comes in? :D

No problem. To paraphrase what I recall, it's difficult for the plants to become established in it, & the normal-sized gravel doesn't hold them as well. You might like CaribSea's Super Naturals as it is greys and blacks, and a small gravel/coarse sand mix. Or, I would opt for pool sand or possibly blasting sand (using both will give you the black/white), but if you have any sand diggers or animals that bury in substrate or look for food, the blasting sand is said to be 'sharp'.

Always lots of decisions & choices to be made in this hobby! Can make one's mind want to explode at times. :blink:

I will look into caribsea cause grey is always the best option for me lol I love grey.

Blasting sand is sharp, even for me to dig into when I am blasting something, too much pressure with it can be pretty painful... at least on sensitive parts.

I feel like my head will explode now! Haha you are so right! I was reading the plant article and is said the flourish subdtrate is really good. I just dont have enough on hand for the 29 thats where I would use the white.

Hmm I wonder if I could get pool filter sand whit time of year? Cause I know I want to go swiming in 10 degree weather its fun! ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will look into caribsea cause grey is always the best option for me lol I love grey.

Blasting sand is sharp, even for me to dig into when I am blasting something, too much pressure with it can be pretty painful... at least on sensitive parts.

I feel like my head will explode now! Haha you are so right! I was reading the plant article and is said the flourish subdtrate is really good. I just dont have enough on hand for the 29 thats where I would use the white.

Hmm I wonder if I could get pool filter sand whit time of year? Cause I know I want to go swiming in 10 degree weather its fun! ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Best time to buy something is when no one wants it. :whistle: Sure Warren Buffet has said this before.

Have fun! :fish2:

I managed to find Eco-Complete on sale at my LFS and picked up a 20# bag of it. I figured when I did get to my change, I can use this along with the flourite black aaaand some white and it should do? :3

Depending in the grain size of the flourite and EC one or the other may end up on top of the other. The finer one will be on the bottom and coarser one on top

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the bag I got has very small grains- not as small as like.. sand? but it is tiny, with some larger pieces, the flourite has different sizes but I am patient ennough to pick out the same sizes as the eco the white I want to mix in- is regular gravel, but I would only put a few cups in if that for a sprinkling effect XD

Back
Top Bottom