Changing filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a hang on type filter and am switching to a cannister for the CO2 system. My question is: will my tank go through another cycle process by changing filters? Is there any thing I should do besides just swapping them out?

I have a hang on type filter and am switching to a cannister for the CO2 system. My question is: will my tank go through another cycle process by changing filters? Is there any thing I should do besides just swapping them out?

I would say use some of the media from your old filter to seed the new one. The old media is like gold, loaded with Beneficial Bacteria that you do not want to loose.

Even though there's BB in the substrate, ornaments etc ...completely changing to a new filter could cause a new cycle.:facepalm:

I will put the floss packets from the old filter into the news one for a week and make water checks to watch then.

Another question, I boiught a Fluval cannister system and it has three baskets for various biological and chemical removal media: I want to leave these three baskets empty and only leave the two foam filters in place, correct?

Completely changing your filter will throw the tank into a cycle unless you put your old filter media in your new filter. You should keep the old media in the new filter for a few weeks at least.

I will put the floss packets from the old filter into the news one for a week and make water checks to watch then.

Another question, I boiught a Fluval cannister system and it has three baskets for various biological and chemical removal media: I want to leave these three baskets empty and only leave the two foam filters in place, correct?

Incorrect my friend:nono: ... utilize the baskets by all means! Fluval's give you soooooo many options of media combinations to put in the baskets, but DEFINITELY get the ceramic rings called Biomax, that's where the BB will grow and flourish and goes on the top basket, the bottom two can be a combination of pre-filter, carbon and or peat for example. Some members go with the Pre-Filter in the bottom. One thing I've learned is that carbon is not as necessary as one might think. It's the mechanical filtration from the foam and the biological from the bacteria that's key.

I inherited a fluval 404 that I set up before joining AA so I just did the usual carbon on the bottom basket, and Biomax on the top. So, if anything I'm under utilizing the full capabilities of my fluval. Luckily my fish are happy(y) so I will wait a few months before I reconfigure my baskets.

Completely changing your filter will throw the tank into a cycle unless you put your old filter media in your new filter. You should keep the old media in the new filter for a few weeks at least.

+1 Keep the old media with the new for a couple of weeks to really seed the new filter media.

I run sponges on the side and ceramic rings in all 3 (on 305) and 4 (on 405) baskets in mine.

OK, glad you guys corrected the misunderstanding I had. I installed the Fluval cannister last night. My other filter had two floss/carbon packs with a plastic brace in each. I put those in the bottom, left out the 2 bottom trays for now (filters are to big to fit in the trays and I did not want to cut them up), and put the top tray in with the ceramic biomax rings. I will leave the cannister like this for three weeks, then pull out the old filters and put the other two trays in the cannister.

Also, I have my CO2 tank, regulator, PH monitor, and other hardware ordered. I decided to go with the DIY reactor and will build that this weekend.

All the help and information I have received from everyone is amazing, I am really excited about how my tank looks now and it is just starting!

Got my CO2 tank yesterday, filled it this morning. The regulator and other pieces will be here Monday. With that, I had a go at the DIY reactor. The Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace near my house are severly lacking in plumbing hardware. It took 3 trips to Home Depot, 2 trips to Ace, and 1 wasted trip to Lowes to get the pieces I need. I ended up using like 4 various reducers (even 1 brass and 1 galvinized piece)to get from the 2" pipe to the hose barbs. Also, had to find a new hose that would work on the Fluval 305 filter since the hose that came with it was metric. LOL!

I have the bottom part of the reactor built, waiting for my CO2 hose to arrive so I can drill the CO2 line hole and put the top of the reactor together. It surely was an adventure getting pieces for this project.

I got a bit sloppy with the pipe cleaner and have purple spots all over the PVC pipe, good thing it will be hidden in the stand below the tank.

Next time I will just order all the plumbing pieces online :facepalm:

Haha, i found all my parts in abundance. One thing I would do, that you still can, is put a hose barb for the co2. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea. Mine is just glued in and has no problems, but I think a barb would be a better idea. Just tossing that out there.

That's a great idea! When my CO2 hose arrives I will take it with me to the store and get a hose barb. My thought - cut the main PVC pipe in half, put a T connector with a reducer (or in the case of my local stores, 4-5 pieces :lol:) and connect the hose barb and CO2 hose to that.

Also, found a can of spray paint for plastic in the basement and the main reactor looks a lot better now. Will paint the whole thing when it is complete, then it won't be such an eyesore when the cabinet door is open. I will post a picture next week of the final reactor.

Reactor leaks

Houston, we have problems. :banghead: I have a small leak where the galvinized reducer is connected. I took it out, re-taped it and cranked it down. It still has a small leak. I have it wrapped up with a towel and a drip pan installed. I am running it like this until this weekend when I can find a better plumbing supply store. I plan to build a new reactor with the minimum number of pieces.

I did not add a hose barb for the CO2 line, the hose is so small I'd never get a connector at the stores in the area. Maybe when I find a better store for the new reactor pieces.

Back
Top Bottom