changing over to dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing now Tiger is you need to take something like a BBQ fork and poke around the substrate a couple times a day to release gas buildup. Usually the first 4ish weeks you need to do that. It's just gas pockets that form due to the organics in the soil breaking down.

Patrick you don't need soil. You can use sand, small grained gravel, dirt, or any commercial substrate.

The only thing now Tiger is you need to take something like a BBQ fork and poke around the substrate a couple times a day to release gas buildup. Usually the first 4ish weeks you need to do that. It's just gas pockets that form due to the organics in the soil breaking down.

Patrick you don't need soil. You can use sand, small grained gravel, dirt, or any commercial substrate.

Thanks for the tip :) I'll be sure to poke around in the soil to release any buildup..another thing o keep getting mold in one of my fert bottles,I make sure I'm adding excel to offset this but it keeps coming back..any ideas?

Double the amount of Excel and keep it in a darker place. I had a micro do this once. Still don't know why but after I added more Excel that seemed to take care of it.

Honestly I didn't but if you have a little hand strainer you can pour it through it and remove the big chunks.

Well it didn't bother mine in the least and I didn't remove the chunkies... but I also didn't notice it in the bottle until after I had dumped the days dose in the tank. Figured it didn't bother them so I just added more Glut and finished using the solution.

I went ahead&cleaned the bottle with water&a brush..I didn't have much left anyway&didnt want to take the chance.. I'll also take the opportunity&do the peroxide dip on the plants before I replant..

Did the water change & planted the tank this evening...all in all looks okay,tomorrow the tank should be just about clear...had thought about making this a shrimp tank but will probably stick with the Gbr's & a school of small fish...looking for ideas for the school..

You'll have to post pic's when the tank clears! If you go with the rams still I like rummynose or cardinal tetra's, threadfin rainbows, or harliquen rasboras as schoolers. I have all 4 and all do well as schoolers. I like the threadfins because the males are constantly displaying and are really pretty cool little fish.

Stopped by the lfs&ended up with a small school of scissortail rasboras...spent 90 mins acclimating them&now they're settling in..tank isn't completely clear but getting there...

Added some pics to my album...The 1st one is the fluval edge,2-3-4 are of the 36g bowfront,5-6 are of the 10g shrimp/fish tank& 7 thru 12 are of the freshly dirted 20g..hope this makes sense&the pics are descent..

Yeah the 10g is my favorite at this point,looking forward to watching the 20g grow in..any idea what the grassy looking plants maybe? Also the 10g has crs,rcs,ammono's(over 40 shrimp in total),3 cardinal tetra,3 rummynose tetra,2 white cloud minnows,1 sterbai Cory&a couple nerite snails...algae wouldn't have a chance in this tank...it would seem that the tank is overstocked but haven't lost any stock in over 6 months&haven't added anything new in that period of time..

Back
Top Bottom