Changing substrate advice for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am looking to change my substrate in all of my tanks from aquarium gravel to PFS. I did this is one tank and already I am kicking myself for not putting in some type of soil under the sand. What is the most cost effective "soil" or substrate I could put under the PFS to support plant growth?

Soils are all different. Even two bags of the same soil will be different so finding the 'most' effective is quite difficult. However, you do want one with a nice blend of organic matter and peat etc. Miracle grow organic potting compost seems to be the popular choice in the US but any cheap topsoil should suffice.

Soils are all different. Even two bags of the same soil will be different so finding the 'most' effective is quite difficult. However, you do want one with a nice blend of organic matter and peat etc. Miracle grow organic potting compost seems to be the popular choice in the US but any cheap topsoil should suffice.

Agreed, I used Osmacote seed raiser topped with sand, seems to be working great!

Make sure you drain your tank and refill a few time over to keep down the initial ammonia spike. After that your filter (if established) should be able to take care of the rest.

1 inch of soil is best with a cap of and inch of sand :) I also added some red clay for abit of extra iron. U can even sprinkle in some Osmacote plus under the soil to give some extra ferts!

Hope I've helped [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom