Changing substrate in an established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rusty315

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, it's my first post so my apologies if I'm asking something that's been covered a thousand times before.

I set up a 36x18x24 65G tropical tank a month ago and I want to put a fair few plants in there as well as some driftwood. The substrate I have at the moment is neutral with tabs throughout it but I really should've used something with nutrients like Seachem Flourite or ADA Aquasoil. I've stocked it with fish already: 20 neons, 6 tiger barbs, 2 m/f pairs of guppies, 2 bristlenoses, a Borneo loach and a reticulated loach. I'm not planning on putting any more fish in there. I've got a handful of crypts, a sword and an Anubias nana in there right now. I'm running a Fluval 1450. I don't want to go too high-tech (ie expensive, Fluval was my spending splurge) so CO2 isn't an option right now but I will be getting Finnex Planted+ LED in two weeks.

My questions are:

How safe is it to change the substrate now that I've got fish in there? Will it gunk up the water too much? I don't have a separate tank where I can house my fish temporarily.

Will a layer of Flourite or some other substrate over the neutral substrate provide enough nutrition or do the roots need to be in the Flourite?

Appreciate your help!

Hi, it's my first post so my apologies if I'm asking something that's been covered a thousand times before.

I set up a 36x18x24 65G tropical tank a month ago and I want to put a fair few plants in there as well as some driftwood. The substrate I have at the moment is neutral with tabs throughout it but I really should've used something with nutrients like Seachem Flourite or ADA Aquasoil. I've stocked it with fish already: 20 neons, 6 tiger barbs, 2 m/f pairs of guppies, 2 bristlenoses, a Borneo loach and a reticulated loach. I'm not planning on putting any more fish in there. I've got a handful of crypts, a sword and an Anubias nana in there right now. I'm running a Fluval 1450. I don't want to go too high-tech (ie expensive, Fluval was my spending splurge) so CO2 isn't an option right now but I will be getting Finnex Planted+ LED in two weeks.

My questions are:

How safe is it to change the substrate now that I've got fish in there? Will it gunk up the water too much? I don't have a separate tank where I can house my fish temporarily.

Will a layer of Flourite or some other substrate over the neutral substrate provide enough nutrition or do the roots need to be in the Flourite?

Appreciate your help!

Ada and flourite will leech ammonia into the water and kill all your fish. When first starting up a tank with these substrates I believe you need to do frequent water changes untill all the ammonia has stopped leeching out.

Best way would be to get a large container (big enough to hold all the substrate and a fair amount of water) and fill it with the substrate and tap water. Test and replace the water every few days untill all the ammonia has leeched out and then it should be safe to add it to the aquarium and remove your old substrate. Make sure you stir up the gravel aswell.

Be very careful as many people have lost fish by adding substrates like these after adding fish.

Sounds like getting the ammonia out then adding it gradually over a few weeks would be safer. I'll keep a close eye on ammonia and do some heavier water changes. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like getting the ammonia out then adding it gradually over a few weeks would be safer. I'll keep a close eye on ammonia and do some heavier water changes. Thanks for the advice.

No worrys :) sounds like your underway. What plants are you planning on keeping?

I don't want to get in over my head so I'm after hardier species that are a little more forgiving. I read that Monte Carlo isn't too hard to get going and it's a great looking carpeting plant. I was thinking a bit of Java fern and a few more crypts would look nice (I've already got wendtii and Beckettii). I think the one sword looks nice on its own. Any suggestions would be awesome.

I don't want to get in over my head so I'm after hardier species that are a little more forgiving. I read that Monte Carlo isn't too hard to get going and it's a great looking carpeting plant. I was thinking a bit of Java fern and a few more crypts would look nice (I've already got wendtii and Beckettii). I think the one sword looks nice on its own. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Depends what your lay out is ;) I may have a few ideas. Carpets can be tricky and slow growing without injected co2. I'm not real sure what carpets well with just excel.

AR mini is always a good addition ;)

I read that about Monte Carlo, that it prefers some CO2 to get going. I didn't realize that'd be the case for most/all carpeting plants. Is AR mini A. Reineckii? The red looks amazing but isn't it a more demanding plant?

I read that about Monte Carlo, that it prefers some CO2 to get going. I didn't realize that'd be the case for most/all carpeting plants. Is AR mini A. Reineckii? The red looks amazing but isn't it a more demanding plant?

Yep that's the one ;) it's not too bad to be honest. I was growing it just fine with my lights at 50%. They do tend to attract algae tho if it's needs arnt met. Pretty nice plant tho, you can always give it a go :)

It's a really nice looking plant. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for tip!

I'm currently growing A reineckii mini, glossostigma elatinoides, hydrocotyle tripartita, ceratopteris thalictroides and few others in Brightwell Aquatics Rio Escuro Extra Fine. In a separate tank, I'm growing Staurogyne repens and Aponogeton madagescaris in the same substrate.

I've come to love this substrate above all. Its a nutrient-rich aquasoil without ammonia. Controsoil was the original formulator. I've only been able to find Contro at Buce.com and its pricey! Brightwell just purchases Controsoil and adds a few more ferts. $40 for a 15lbs bag and shipping is usually free.

I grow all plants under Finnex 24 7 on Max for 7.5 hours. Also, CO2 injection is direct into my output flow line (from canister filter). My dKh indicator is lime green, so I essentially yield 38 - 40 ppm of dissolved CO2 in my 20gal long. This is with a rate of 2 bubbles/sec.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom