changing to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2manyFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought my first plants. I got 2 amazon swords, 2 amazon compacta, 2 java fern, and 3 water wysteria. And I wanna add more. Should I wait in between like with fish? Also am I going to need to use anythin differant for the plants?

No, you can add them as you please. You should however look into using root tabs for your swords and wisteria, as well as start researching EI or PPS pro dosing routines. If you keep it relatively low light, you may be able to get by with just root tabs and a weekly flourish comprehensive dosing instead of the ei/pps pro dosing.

Those swords are going to take over your tank if you let them, they get massive. It's nothing to a pair of scissors, though :]

Yea Im planning on keeping it low light. Wats the best kind to put on drift wood and stuff? And how deep should my substrate be? Is switching to planted at once going to affect my fish?

The best tying on DW plants would be Anubia's especially Nana or Nana Petite, Java Ferns (narrowleaf, trident, wendilov, etc.), Bolbitus, and any of the many mosses.

Plants have no affect on fish and you can have as few or many as you like.

**** I really wanted some. Wat else beside java fern is low light and carpet-like

Giant baby tears (Hemianthus umbrosom) and regular baby tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides) both do best in medium light. In low light they are going to grow scraggly and leggy.

Dwarf Sagittaria is a low light carpet plant if you wanted to go that route

I have a few in my low tech tank.. They're doing well, if you want a carpet why dont you glue moss onto stainless steel mesh? I used fissidens in my tank.

Attachments

• image-1532615546.jpg
    image-1532615546.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 88
I want a good lookin moss type to tie onto my drift wood to make it look like a real tree

And my lights r 7watts a piece. Is that a good amount for most plants?

Back
Top Bottom