Charcoal in planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't. I don't feel it necessary. I rely on a Magnum micron filter, water changes, and the plants for clarity and use floss for mechanical filtration.

Carbon's pores would quite possibly be filled almost instantly with organics (Guess)

Most people don't use it as it absorbs nutrients (and it's not necessary)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Most people don't use it as it absorbs nutrients (and it's not necessary)

Thats what I have heard. I don't use it myself. I usually cut it out of the filter cartridges.

I use it based on D. Walsteads' findings... I use a small amount, and I had a HUGE drop in green surface algae, and my plants don't seem bothered one bit.

actually plantbrain says it is a good tool if you are trying to recover from an algae break out.. and I'm about to move some back IN to my tank for that reason..

hi,

I had some active carbon supplied with my filter but changed it out a few days ago.

The massive amount of bog wood i stuck in my tank was making the water really dark (which i liked for a bit) but wasnt clearing at all with water changes (will probably take another 6 months for all the tannins to leach out).

After sticking in the bio-chem zorb instead the water was crystal clear by the next morning. Its like looking at a whole new tank.

I'd be interested to know of any negative effects I might get from using the bio-chem, since i'm planting heavily and trying to get a decent dosing schedule worked out.

Best Regards,

John

Back
Top Bottom