cheap fertilizer alternatives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! As i am fairly new to planted tanks & i am about to start yet another tank (all low tech, hardy plants), the use of liquid plant fertilizers from the chain stores is getting quite costly. What are some inexpensive alternatives i can try? I am a bit fearful of using anything not labeled for 'aquarium use' because i do not want to sicken my fish or harm my bb. Thanks!

Cheap Fert Alternatives

Hello jlk...

Before my large, planted tanks became became a bit overstocked, I used liquid hydroponics fertilizers. They're specifically for growing nonaquatic plants without the use of soil.

However, the liquids are organic and excellent for plants in general. A company by the name of "Earth Juice" makes them. I used to dose in very small amounts because of the potency and a good sized bottle that cost about $13.00 at the time, lasted about three months, and I was dosing six tanks. Pretty inexpensive for a liquid fert that's easy to dose. I just added a little to my water change water every week. I did stop using the chemical (carbon) media in my tanks when I started using the liquid, just in case the media affected the fert. But, if you replace half the water in your tanks weekly, then IMO, you don't need the carbon. The water changes will remove much more dissolved substances than carbon media.

Might be worth a look on the internet. Liquids can be inexpensive, if you do your homework.

B

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom