Cheap Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have LEDs on my 20Long and I wanted to upgrade to something brighter so I could do baby tears and other bright plants. Is there any cheap lighting that would work well? I'm only 14 so I don't have a bankroll.

A t8 or t5 shop light from menards would probably be the cheapest route. You would just have to find a way to hang/support it with something.

You could look into a cfl lamp made for 2 bulbs. As long as you get 20w 6500k daylights it should give you good enough light for dwarf baby tear to carpet if your willing to do co2 or liquid carbon along with ferts.

Approximately how much would those cost? I can research it but wanted to hear what AA had to say first. Will I see blooms of algae when I use these lights?

Ok so there it would be cheaper than home depot or a hardware store?

I got my 48" diamond plate reflector at Home Depot for $35.00. The high reflection is important because it focuses the light back on the tank, rather then letting it escape. My first hood had only the standard white and my growth was no good. The new reflector is starting to make co2 necessary

I would shop around in my area there is a place with a one light set up for about 32 for a 2 foot so for my needs and how I am going to set up me new tank that's going to work.

There is a hydroponics store near me so I will go see what they have.

There is a hydroponics store near me so I will go see what they have.

You might find a material called Mylar (yep, same material for the "shiny" balloons) there. It is a thin, highly reflective material used for enhancing light output. I used it for a canopy I built many years ago.

I just saw a post from another user where they used generic clamp style work lights and 23 watt 6500k CFL lights. Decent output. These are found at most hardware stores and possibly at the hydroponics store.

@jetajockey & sillyfishies: I like those but what about a hood? Do I need one?

The thing is its in my kitchen on the granite countertop. Isn't there a risk of something spilling or falling into it?
I will try to get a pic of the tank. Just don't scoff at my amateur aquascaping skills!

I like the look allot I'm just worried something will fall in there. Like medicine, cleaners, food. Should I just do it and not worry? What a dilemma!

Back
Top Bottom