CHEAP lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
meegosh said:
I'm using a cheap $7 2 bulb T8 shoplight over my 75g. It throws off lots of light and you can get whatever kelvin bulbs you want. It will put you in the low light range but should be able to keep the plants you listed alive.

Cool I will look into that, I'm guessing home depot or something? It might be good for now while I save up for something nicer. Although the fishneedit price is good and comes with two bulbs.

meegosh said:
I'm using a cheap $7 2 bulb T8 shoplight over my 75g. It throws off lots of light and you can get whatever kelvin bulbs you want. It will put you in the low light range but should be able to keep the plants you listed alive.

I did the same thing a few years ago on 2 55s and grew two tanks FILLED with plants, but I used Triton tubes (off the market now). It's really not a bad option at all. Just put some daylights in it and you wouldn't need co2. Just use Seachem Excell and comprehensive. It's shocking how well such a simple system works.

The light I'm using is a Utli Tech 2 bulb T8 fixture. The item number is 0245536. It was less than $8 with tax. I had daylight bulbs already so it didn't cost me anything other than the fixture. I believe I got it at Lowes, I'm sure Home Depot has something similar.

A plus for this fixture is that it is not direct wired (has a plug) like a lot of the budget shop lights are. I must warn you however, I bought 4 of these and one is noisy. It wasn't a big deal for me considering the price and I just put that one in my garage. I'm not sure if it is the ballast or what but it makes a hum. The other ones are dead silent. If you get a noisy one you might want to swap it out.

Back
Top Bottom