CHEAP lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So .... still trying to figure out what to do with my 55 gallon, was going to get the new aquatic plant LED fixture but man is it expensive. T5HO fixtures are affordable but use a lot of energy. Compact flourescent fixtures are expensive too. So I was thinking of another option.

with a glass top I can use really cheap utility lights like this:
Amazon.com: Coleman Cable 05932 6-foot 18/2 SPT Reflector Light with 8.5-inch Reflector: Home Improvement
It would be ugly, but I could put daylight spectrum compact flourescent lights in it, and build a DIY canopy to hide the lights. I could do like for of these lights over a 55 gallon tank. This would cost about $40 not including the cost of lightbulbs and I can get a 4 pack of daylight CF bulbs at biglots for about $14. not to mention the price of building a canopy which I haven't even priced yet and I don't have any woodworking tools so I would have to get someone to cut the wood for me, buy tools, etc etc etc.

Then I also saw this online:
Exo Terra Compact Fluorescent Terrarium Canopy - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

ok it says it is for a terrerium I know, but they are compact flourescent and I could buy two 24" canopies for my 55 gallon tank. and put compact flourescent bulbs in it. This would cost 34.99 for each fixture, not including the price of bulbs. I wouuld need two fixtures so about $70 but I would not have to build a canopy because I think these would look nice without a canopy.

Thoughts? Suggestions???
should I just buy a T5HO? or would these save more money in energy since I can use compact flourescent lights and buy cheaper standard compact flourescent bulbs???

You're not going to see any difference in your electricity bill between LED, CFL, and T5HO... Just go with a fishneedit 2x54w T5HO and you won't have to try and make it look good because it already will.

How much light are you going to need?

55 gallon planted tank with crypts, anubias, dwarf sag, very small amount of wisteria. I am thinking about adding some swords, i have rotala indica growing out in my small tanks, and considering adding some bacopa species as well. So mostly medium light i think.
I dose excel (when I remember), use root tabs,and does flourish 1-2 times a week

You would do great with either light options. I like having 2 switches myself. CFLswould allow you to experiment with different watt bulbs although the T5 option would be more powerful. you would want co2 with the T5s for sure.

I went with the fishneedit dual t5ho fixture and I am very pleased. My plants are growing and gorgeous. But +1 on the co2...I can tell you from experience, algae will take over without it:).

I've never done CO2 and don't want to. I know plenty who do planted tanks without it. That's why I like the option of two switches. I can use a timer and adjust the lighting times accordingly to manage algae. I've also got bristlenose plecos and oto's so algae usually isn't even an issue.

If you want to go really cheap just go with a cheap ebay fixture t5ho 108w | eBay
The one I have is very lacking output wise, so the Co2 thing may not be as mandatory as it would be on a nicer fixture. Raising a fixture a few inches above the tank will also reduce the light intensity quite a bit.

A 2 bulb t8 shop light will probably work but would leave you wanting more.

I think that the catalina fixtures have individual switches but you'd have to dig more to be sure. They have nice high quality lights but may end up a little over budget. If it were me I would be going with something like this, though. Catalina Aquarium - Catalina Aquarium

The spotlights look cool but I'd be concerned about light coverage.

So no comments on the terrerium hoods huh? lol.

Well thanks for all the suggestions. It's hard to decide even between all the T5 options!

ashleynicole said:
Ooh I like that one! I could do moonlights with one bulb and daylight with the other two on timers.

You don't want to use a T5 as a moonlight. Even a pure blue will allow plants and algae to photosynthesize. An LED moonlight made for the purpose is the way to go for that.

On the subject of co2 and algae: whenever you move up to high output lighting things really do change. You may be fine with 1 T5 and some good algae eaters, but with 2 T5s the game totally changes. You can give it a shot and I do hope it goes well.

Ive seen cheap strips of blue LEDs so I suppose I could make a DIY moonlight at some point.

I think I'm just going to do a two strip T5 with two switches so I can start with just one strip on and slowly increase my light.

I cant afford CO2... My husband would kill me... He already hates how much I spend on fish, and for every dollar I spend on my hobby, he gets equal for whatever he wants, lol so think whatever I spend is really double.

For "moonlights", I used blue LED strips that you can pick up at Autozone, they have other colors also in many lengths. They are waterproof and you can use just about any old power cord that you probably have stuck in a drawer from an old cordless phone or whatever so long as it is about 12 volts.

Remind your husband of the old motto... "A happy wife is a happy home." ;)

I'm using a cheap $7 2 bulb T8 shoplight over my 75g. It throws off lots of light and you can get whatever kelvin bulbs you want. It will put you in the low light range but should be able to keep the plants you listed alive.

Back
Top Bottom