Cheaper alternative to Flourite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
First of all, here's what Im working on:

Mbuna tank (yes i know they are typically rough on plants)
4wpg
pressurized CO2
glosso, amazon swords, anacharis, corkscrew val
Average substrate depth 1.5"

Here's my question:

Is there a cheaper alternative to buying Flourite? I know its probably really great stuff... but how much better is it than pool sand with seachem root tabs in it? Is it better enough to justify the cost of the stuff? Also, what about sand with a peat layer below it? What do you guys think? I just hate to spend all that money on Flourite, but if you think its worth it, lemme know.

Here's my take on layered substrates:

1] You want a planted mbuna tank (whoo hoo a man after my own heart :) )

2] Yes peat works wonders in planted tanks.

3] See point #1. You have MBUNA. They will tear the substrate up like nothing you have ever seen and will spill peat into your water column like it was dust. Not a good idea :p

4] If you want to keep mbuna and plants, you will have to spend the money on a fairly dustless substrate. Flourite is somewhat dusty so even the expense for it may not be enough. The ONLY plant substrate I can recommend for an mbuna tank is either plain old sand (supplemented with root tabs - and, trust me this isn't too bad) or, full on Eco-Complete Planted Tank Substrate. EC is your best best bet if you can afford it, but plain old sand is pretty darn good too. Just do some research on root tabs and water column fertilaztion and your plants will be just fine. But don't EVEN consider peat. You will regret it :wink:

Except you run into the same digging issue..your laterite will go into the water column and make a cloudy nasty mess.

Aquariumplants.com has eco-complete for around 20 buck a bag with shipping if you buy 3 bags. Shipping price jumps if you buy more than 3 bags at a time.

Unless you're a purist Eco-Complete does the job as well as anything you can use. It is the best planted tank substratge going right now and, like Apocalypse said, AquariumPlants.com has the best deals going on it. Highly recommended :)

Back
Top Bottom