Chlorine in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If plants act like gha and turf algae in saltwater, then the answer would be no. In the algae turf scrubber community, there is talk of not using ro/di water at all, just turn on the tap and go. Personally, I would lean towards yes, it is harmful.

The big one to worry about is chloramine, more than chlorine.

Well that is kinda what brought me to that question....i truly was afraid it was dumb question so im really glad to hear it was a good one...anyhow i carbon filter all my water for my tanks and but only one i have live plants in and it dawned on me that i may be robbing my plants of essential nutrients the carbon is removing so i started using tap(with a dechlorinator of course). But then i wondered if that was even needed considering i havent added fish yet.

And then another thing that crossed my mind...now i dont know how different aquatic plants are vs. non but i know a lot of you use the same ferts and we water our garden plants with chlorinated tap water with no major side effects.

And then another thing that crossed my mind...now i dont know how different aquatic plants are vs. non but i know a lot of you use the same ferts and we water our garden plants with chlorinated tap water with no major side effects.

I actually looked into this a while ago when I was learning about tap water and fish health. Plants actually utilize chlorine in their daily function such as photosynthesis which I thought was interesting. There really isn't a tremendous amount in our water supply for the most part, it apparently doesn't take much to kill the bacteria and micro organisms that are in our water. If your plants are suffering from chlorine in the water id say you should be more concerned with your own health lol. So I guess the answer is no at relatively low levels.

Very good point....i do find it interesting also that they would use it in their growth ill have to research about that! Although the BB is of most importance in which i did overlook lol thanks for the help everyone!!!

Very good point....i do find it interesting also that they would use it in their growth ill have to research about that! Although the BB is of most importance in which i did overlook lol thanks for the help everyone!!!

In a plant only tank you dont need bb. Plants love ammonia.

Therefore consistent water changes are solely algae control only?

In a planted only tank water changes are not needed. Top offs will provide enough trace minerals. Especially if you are dosing ferts.

In a planted only tank water changes are not needed. Top offs will provide enough trace minerals. Especially if you are dosing ferts.

I feel the need to reiterate that water changes are still necessary in plant only tanks. There is a lot more water chemistry going on than people are aware of. In a tank without water changes the alkalinity will drop causing a ph crash which top offs won't prevent. Magnesium is a micro fert that is often looked over because our water supply has it but a top off won't offer much in the way of enough magnesium.

I would think a monthly 50% change would be a safe plan just for replenishing equillibrium in the tank as long as a pps pro dosing schedule is maintained in a plant only tank.

You can get chlorine toxicity of plants from using untreated water in a planted tank. The leaves curl and contort around themselves on themselves quite dramatically.

This assumes that your tank is using up all the products created by fish. The only happens in very robust system, eg, good light and CO2. The majority of people on this site don't use CO2, so this is actually a very misleading statement in my opinion. You're also setting your self up for old tank syndrome.

You can get chlorine toxicity of plants from using untreated water in a planted tank. The leaves curl and contort around themselves on themselves quite dramatically.

This assumes that your tank is using up all the products created by fish. The only happens in very robust system, eg, good light and CO2. The majority of people on this site don't use CO2, so this is actually a very misleading statement in my opinion. You're also setting your self up for old tank syndrome.

Aquachem I made this statement in reference to aquariums with no fish or inverts. If you have livestock it will not work the same.

Chlorine in tap water is not good for plants. Also remember that a planted tank is a complex ecosystem involving much more than the plants alone.

That said, if your tap is low chlorine you may not notice any issues, bit I don't recommend it considering that dechlor costs fractions of cents.

Aquachem I made this statement in reference to aquariums with no fish or inverts. If you have livestock it will not work the same.
You're right, and I missed that. The point about old tank syndrome stands though, as plants aren't too keen on osmotic shock either.

You're right, and I missed that. The point about old tank syndrome stands though, as plants aren't too keen on osmotic shock either.

I see. I didnt realize it would affect them. Would addingna small amount of crushed coral to the filter add enough hardness to prevent that?

Back
Top Bottom