Choosing between lighting fixtures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've narrowed it down to the finnex ray 2 or the planted tank build from buildmyled.com

Finnex ray 2 http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ray-ii-ultra-slim-led-ds-dual-7000k.html

Planted tank build

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/

Looks like the buildmyled fixture will be around 180 and the finnex ray 2 around 100. Will I see a huge difference in the two? I've also read the ray2 goes a lot better with the monster ray. Would I need two lights if I did the build my led one?

It's for a 20 gal high aquarium that I am beginning to plant.

The BML fixture will offer full color spectrum that the Ray 2 won't. The red stems won't show their true beauty with the ray 2, but I'm not sure of the PAR with the BML. Are you running co2 and a comprehensive fertilizer regimen?

The BML fixture will offer full color spectrum that the Ray 2 won't. The red stems won't show their true beauty with the ray 2, but I'm not sure of the PAR with the BML. Are you running co2 and a comprehensive fertilizer regimen?

Actually I'm just getting started so neither. I want to go ahead and get a light because my old light fixture went out so my aquarium is lightless with a few easy growing plants in it. So I figured I would go ahead and spend now what I would spend on it later anyway.

No co2, was dosing with API liquid co2 every few days. Recently started looking into diy osmocote root tabs

And it's a community tank with about 8 fish

Ok, we'll with both of those fixtures you may need co2/Excel/Glut and a Fert regimen. I can give you advise on all if you need help.

Awesome, I'm on a bit of a budget so ill be building this thing up over time. Should I not put each piece into action until I get all of the pieces?

Ok I've narrowed it down to the finnex ray 2 or the planted tank build from buildmyled.com

Finnex ray 2 http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-ray-ii-ultra-slim-led-ds-dual-7000k.html

Planted tank build

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/

Looks like the buildmyled fixture will be around 180 and the finnex ray 2 around 100. Will I see a huge difference in the two? I've also read the ray2 goes a lot better with the monster ray. Would I need two lights if I did the build my led one?

It's for a 20 gal high aquarium that I am beginning to plant.

I would agree that the ray 2 is paired well with the monster ray. I have those on my 44 pentagon. I do use glut and PPS-pro fertilizer regimen. I really like the fixtures, but I think you would need to start glut or c02 and fertilizers with either fixture.

I'd spend a little extra and go with the BML if you want to grow red plants.
The ray2 may be better for foreground plants, depending on the par rating of the BML, it's something you'll have to look into.

You should atleast get some sort of liquid co2 at minimum for either of those lights. Gluteraldehyd (sp) runs about 20.00 for a gallon, which is then watered down a 1:1 ratio and dosed 1mL/10 gallons, so it's definitely worth the buy, Same thing as excel and a lot cheaper in the long run.
PPS Pro makes about the same amount and is dosed the same way, 1mL/10 gallons, I think it's $30 for the start-up package and a couple dosing bottles. If you get both of those you can go without a co2 system until you have the budget to start one, then you can keep running the liquid co2 or quit, but you'll definitely want to keep the PPS pro running all the time

I'm asking this question in another thread actually about a 75 gallon. With the ray 2 you'd definitely need some sort of co2 or you would really have to limit your photoperiod. Brian posted a link to the planted tank forum where they were talking about the monster ray/ray2 combo, looks amazing in pictures and everyone says pictures don't do it justice. Here's the pics someone posted, the first is the ray 2 alone, the second the monster ray alone, and third is both combined. See what you think.

Attachments

• image-3275993660.jpg
    image-3275993660.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 95
  • image-257359187.jpg
    image-257359187.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3003447102.jpg
    image-3003447102.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 98
Thinking I don't need to get either of those lights just yet then

Back