Christmas Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batesy82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have any info on Christmas Moss? I searched it on plantgeek and couldn't find it.

Light requirements?
Growth rate?
Problems?
Etc

Try tropica website or greenmachine aquatics website both have info on Christmas moss

Batesy82 said:
Does anyone have any info on Christmas Moss? I searched it on plantgeek and couldn't find it.

Light requirements?
Growth rate?
Problems?
Etc

It's so new on the market, they haven't listed it yet. The 3 main LFS I frequent don't know/have it. Search here (xmas moss too) and there's a bit of first hand info.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Vesicularia dubyana ( Christmas tree moss)

Family : hypnaceae
Origin: brazil
Height: 1-3cm
Temp: 15-28c
Gh: 1-30dh
Ph: 5.5-8
Light: low/med-med/high
Growth rate: slow-med
Demands: med

Hope this helps

Welshy said:
Not too sure why that is, it's distinguishable by it's side shoots ( hence the name Christmas tree moss) not really looked in to it Ptolemy but I think java moss is taxaphielium barberi could be wrong....sorry about spelling

They have a good database of info, sometimes things happen. I want to use tree moss from my yard ona piece of DW.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Mr. Limpet said:
They have a good database of info, sometimes things happen. I want to use tree moss from my yard ona piece of DW.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

Would look great almost like a bonsai tree look, I did the same with some windelov which looks good too, there is some nice mosses out there I like the weeping moss....hopefully my next addition

Welshy said:
Would look great almost like a bonsai tree look, I did the same with some windelov which looks good too, there is some nice mosses out there I like the weeping moss....hopefully my next addition

Just wasn't sure if I could put in an aquarium, if it would rot like non aquatic plants can, or even poison my fish.

Ahh right, you mean you want to use ordinary garden moss in your tank? That would probably be a bad idea as it is non aquatic, I thought you wanted Christmas moss tied to a piece of driftwood to make it look Luke a tree

Welshy said:
Ahh right, you mean you want to use ordinary garden moss in your tank? That would probably be a bad idea as it is non aquatic, I thought you wanted Christmas moss tied to a piece of driftwood to make it look Luke a tree

I figured as much, but it would look great with this piece of DW.

I wish I could get xmas moss here. 4 top quality LFS and one's heard of it, none carry it :(.

Thanks for your help with my dumb idea.

It's pretty abundant on eBay and quite cheap as well to be fair, there are lots of nice mosses out there and a lot of effects of age can be made have a look round on eBay

Welshy said:
It's pretty abundant on eBay and quite cheap as well to be fair, there are lots of nice mosses out there and a lot of effects of age can be made have a look round on eBay

P.s it's not a dumb idea! I have thought the same before

I know people order plants & fish online all the time, but I like to see what I'm getting when it comes to certain things.

Thanks for the support, since I'm always thinking things like that lol.

No problem, understand where your coming from, have you tried asking them to order you any in? Or anyone on here have any/ can get you any and then ship it over?

Batesy82 said:

Light requirements?
Growth rate?
Problems?
Etc

I have ordered some Christmas Moss from E-Bay a few weeks ago. I have not received it yet. Because it comes from overseas, it takes quite awhile to receive it. it was quite inexpensive with free shipping. I have no idea what condition it will be in. Don' t really know for sure what I'm getting except it is listed as Christmas Moss and is suppose to be aquatic and "user-friendly" for RCS. because it was so cheap I thought I would try it. I have ordered RCS from E-Bay (from Texas) and they were quite healthy. The trouble was they were VERY tiny. You might want to try E-Bay for your Christmas Moss...which to my understanding is different from Java Moss. I could be wrong but I think they are different :)

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Well I just bought some from a local private plant grower. I'm going to try attaching I to my DW. I'll take some pics once it takes hold.

What types of way does everyone prefer to attach moss? I've heard thread, fishing line, elastics, thumbtacks etc etc. Pros vs Cons?

Batesy82 said:
Well I just bought some from a local private plant grower. I'm going to try attaching I to my DW. I'll take some pics once it takes hold.

What types of way does everyone prefer to attach moss? I've heard thread, fishing line, elastics, thumbtacks etc etc. Pros vs Cons?

Fishing twine is what I use had no il effects using this but if your ab ADA fan boy you can get moss line which is a green colour which blends in perfectly with the moss

You can also use a hot glue gun, which holds well and the glue, which hardens quickly, does not harm the fish and provides no danger of snagging.

Joy...Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom