Christmas Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a small patch of Christmas moss tied to driftwood in my tank with fishing line for roughly 5 days. Haven't seen any change. Not that I really expect any. Anyway, how long will it take to spread? I have what I believe to be a 20w fluorescent bulb and dose with flourish excel daily along with weekly fertilizers. What should I expect?

And you say you have a 20 watt bulb? Your going to need to have a higher intensity set up.
Plants use light to convert carbon compounds into tissue, the speed of which is dictated by the intensity. Not enough light and the plant will not grow or die.

I don't know exactly what I have, it came with a top fin kit. But every single other plant I've had in there has thrived and grown rapidly, no problems.

greetings,

while i can't know what plants you have tried already, i do know that vesicularia dubyana needs more than minimal lighting, and also have very slow growth which might be why you havn't seen any progress.

sincerely,
nereksnad

I have xmas moss in my 20g high. I have a 18w t8 and use excel, and it has really filled out. Every month i have to remove some. Once u use liquid ferts you will see a huge increase in growth. It is a slow growing moss tho.

This is the only pic of the moss on dw, ill get another later.

Attachments

• image-1132657005.jpg
    image-1132657005.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 128
Ive had it for 6 months, but its growth has been steady, and levelled off around 3 months ago.
Keep in mind i have low light.

Well I likely have the same exact light you do. I'm fairly sure mine said 18w. I'll have to check when I get the chance. I do use excel along with weekly fertilizers.

Heres a cpl pics of it.

Attachments

• image-553403218.jpg
    image-553403218.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-619080994.jpg
    image-619080994.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 89
Very nice setup you have there. I'm jealous. I also have water wisteria and a sword plant. As well as sand substrate that caps Flourite. Haha. Our tanks are quite similar. Yours just looks better.

Thanks, once u get plants in your tank will be covered in a cpl months. Good luck with your build :)

Would you recommend putting java moss in the tank as well? I'm impatient and I think it grows faster. Would these two mosses look bad together.

Back
Top Bottom