cleaning roots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys and gals,

Today I got some water hyacinth from my grandmother's pond. It is a small bit and I want to put it in my betas bowl. ( she will be upgraded when she gets older she's only about an inch) her tank is open topped with a light over it.

How can I clean the roots off of all the bugs and algae before introducing it to my beta?

Thanks all,

Bubbles

Will that have any affect on the algae , it sounds like it will help with the bugs. How long would I let it sit/how many times would I dip it?

I'd do it for a minute. Bleach is pretty strong stuff so make sure it's diluted with the 1:20 ratio. Pull the plant through the bleach water to make sure it gets in through the tight openings in the root structure. Once you're done, rinse very well. If you have Prime, that's advisable to use to neutralize any bleach remaining.

Another option to use aside from bleach is to hydrogen peroxide.

Both have been used in this hobby to kill algae and get rid of unwanted pests lurking in plants.

Just research and make sure any method is safe for that particular plant (which I'm unfamiliar with the plant you mentioned) because I've been spreaking in general terms.

Thanks, I may post a picture of the plant all settled in when I get home

Back
Top Bottom