Clear leaves??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the leaves on my 2 swords are turning clear. All my other plants appear to be healthy and are growing nicely. It's just the swords I'm having issues with. Any ideas?

Tank specs are as follows

72gal bow
Ammo- 0
Trites-0
Trates-20ish
ph-7.2
gh- roughly 100 ppm
Kh- roughly 100 ppm
4 bulb t5 6500k - 10 hours of light on a timer 930am-730pm
AC 50 and penguin bio wheel 350
Eco-complete substrate capped with about and inch of black blasting sand. (Not really capped anymore, its more mixed now since I added plants and stirred the substrate some)
Not running co2 yet since I don't have a ton of plants in my tank. Dose seachem flourish twice a week after my pwc. Could it have something to do with co2?

Is it the whole plant or just a couple of stray leaves? I get that too, but its usually the leaves "underneath" the larger leaves so they don't get much light. I just trim mine off and move on. Got any pics you can upload?

mohican said:
Is it the whole plant or just a couple of stray leaves? I get that too, but its usually the leaves "underneath" the larger leaves so they don't get much light. I just trim mine off and move on. Got any pics you can upload?

It was just a few leaves on each plant. I have some pics posted in a another one of my threads I asked the question on but wasn't getting any response on and was just getting pushed further down the list. I didn't save the pics and I already cut off those leaves and tossed em. The thread title is help.

I saw that thread after. The pics were hard to tell. A front tank shot would help but to me its somewhat normal. I don't know the reason why but its probably a combination of nutrients and light.

Here's a full tank shot. I'll post some closer pics of the plants tomorrow if needed. The plants are fairly new. I got the swords about a month ago, do I guess they could just be adjusting too, I just get over worried sometimes I think since this is my first planted tank.

Attachments

• image-295002524.jpg
    image-295002524.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 79
I think your off to s good start just from appearance! Plants in different areas of the tank adjust differently. Give it time.

mohican said:
I think your off to s good start just from appearance! Plants in different areas of the tank adjust differently. Give it time.

Thanks! Hopefully that's all they're doing is adjusting to my tank. Was thinking about going to the LFS and getting some kind of red plants to add some color to the mix. Any suggestions on some hardier plants to start off with?

No I don't just off hand, sorry. I'm in the same boat. Ill be researching myself once my tank adjusts. Just got my pressurized co2 running a couple weeks ago and will be venturing there too. One thing on your tank that could pose future problem is your photoperiod is a little long. Planted tanks only need about 6-8 hrs of light. That could vary a little either way depending on the setup, but 10 hrs is a long time.

mohican said:
No I don't just off hand, sorry. I'm in the same boat. Ill be researching myself once my tank adjusts. Just got my pressurized co2 running a couple weeks ago and will be venturing there too. One thing on your tank that could pose future problem is your photoperiod is a little long. Planted tanks only need about 6-8 hrs of light. That could vary a little either way depending on the setup, but 10 hrs is a long time.

Yea I was thinking about cutting it back a few hours.

Regardless of substrate your plants, especially swords and crypts, need root tabs. These plants absorb most all their nutrients via their roots. You do need to trim the bad leaves off as close to the crown as possible.

Rivercats said:
Regardless of substrate your plants, especially swords and crypts, need root tabs. These plants absorb most all their nutrients via their roots. You do need to trim the bad leaves off as close to the crown as possible.

Great advice. The plants will expend a lot of energy trying to save dying leaves. Cutting them allows the plant to use that energy to grow fresh healthy leaves.

I also use Eco Complete along with root tabs. They give root feeding plants a big leg up.

Clear leaves may be a sign of a nutrient deficiency. I'll go on the PC and try to post a link to a deficiency chart for you.

Ok so I've adjusted my lighting times to run from 12 pm to 730 pm. Buried some root tabs and clipped the old dying leaves and both of my swords are already looking greener and both have started to grow new leaves, seemingly overnight.

Kind of off topic here but I've had some clippings floating for quite a while now and they are growing roots now. I was going to bury them but my fish love the floating cover, which is just under a quarter if the surface area. Question is can I just leave them floating and trim the roots as they get too long or will that kill the plants.

You can just continue to float them if that's what you prefer. You also don't have to cut off the hanging roots if you don't want to but it also won't hurt if you do. Also why not try planting 3 or 4 and leave the rest floating. Then as they grow you can take other clippings and plant them and have the best of both worlds.... floating and planted.

Rivercats said:
You can just continue to float them if that's what you prefer. You also don't have to cut off the hanging roots if you don't want to but it also won't hurt if you do. Also why not try planting 3 or 4 and leave the rest floating. Then as they grow you can take other clippings and plant them and have the best of both worlds.... floating and planted.

Yea I do like how it looks and all the fish love just hanging out in the cluster. I have planted some of the wisteria that was floating but I was also planning in adding quite a few more plants when I get my tax refund, so that's why I figured I'd leave most if them floating. . I just want to keep the roots trimmed so they're not out of control, but wasn't sure on that. Once again rivercats, you've been a great help. Thanks!

I'd leave a couple inches of roots hanging plus don't know what species of fish you have but many like to spawn in the roots if you don't cut them plus the more roots the more nutrients they can absorb.

Rivercats said:
I'd leave a couple inches of roots hanging plus don't know what species of fish you have but many like to spawn in the roots if you don't cut them plus the more roots the more nutrients they can absorb.

Was thinking I'd leave them hang down about half the height of the tank or somewhere close to that.

Down from 9 to 5 angels. ( traded 4 in for credit at the LFS)
3 bala sharks
3 small clown loaches
6 Julii corys
5 bolivian rams
4 swordtails
4 platy
Blue gourami
Comm. pleco about 4-5 inches.

Was thinking I'd leave them hang down about half the height of the tank or somewhere close to that.

Down from 9 to 5 angels. ( traded 4 in for credit at the LFS)
3 bala sharks
3 small clown loaches
6 Julii corys
5 bolivian rams
4 swordtails
4 platy
Blue gourami
Comm. pleco about 4-5 inches.

I like the look of the hanging roots but I had to remove mine due to needing all the light for my type plants. None of the fish you have will spawn in it but any fry you get from the platy's or sword's will appreciate it.

So instead of starting a new thread ill ask here. For the coming 2 weeks or so I will not be around during the photo period on my tank. I usually add liquid carbon dailyand seachem flourish twice a week. Will it be ok to dose at night or early mornings. Mornings would be around 530 am and nights would be around 8-9 pm

Back
Top Bottom