Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

cloudy water

I have been trying to cycle my 10gal tank for a few weeks now. The cycle has become stalled... i think. New to fish keeping and hooked. Also just set up a 55gal tonight. Would like to cycle the 55gal fishless. Any advice for both the 10gal and 55gal???

Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are the water parameters in the ten gallon? Are you doing a fishless or fish-in cycle? If fish-in, what is your stock? What is your filtration?

Check out the stickies in the Getting Started forum. Lots of good info there.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi and welcome!!! Ill post a few links for you to read. You will get more help by posting a new thread in the 'getting started' section of the forum. Some more info on the 10g will help us here- please answer Blert's questions & we will be able to help you! Dont hesitate to ask questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont know exact water parameters because i havent bought a test kit. I have been taking my water from the 10gal to petsmart and having them test it. Since i just set up the 55gal i will be purchasing a master test kit today. In my 10gal i have 4 pepper corydoras and 1 ghost shrimp. I had my tank crystal clear but i did a water change and changed my filter at the same time. That is what stalled my cycle i think. Petsmart said my amonia levels are normal and Ph is okay but that nitrites are high. I attached a pic of my 10 gal

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120219_124214.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	77673
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would be doing yourself a favor to buy a test kit. Doing a fish-in cycle you need to keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm or risk damaging your fish.

The cloudiness will go away, it's just a bacteria bloom (no, not the kind you are looking to foster in your filter media) but it won't hurt your fish. Give it some time. If it doesn't clear up by the time your tank is fully cycled then you may have a small issue. For now, feed less as these blooms are normally caused by over feeding or dirty substrate.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Changing the water will not stall a cycle but will help keep your fish safe from high ammonia and nitrite. Changing the filter was one of the worst things to do. By doing that you have thrown out most of the bacteria you have been trying to grow. You are probably going to see ammonia spikes again. Please read the articles posted above.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well i just got home with my new api water test kit. Here's the skinny on my problematic 10 gal...

pH 7.8 - Ammonia 0-.25ppm - Nitrites 2.0-5.0 - nitrates 10-20 ppm

I put ranges in there because the colors were kinda in between. Because of the high nitrites i added 2tsp of API's Stress Zyme+, even though I really wanted this thing to cycle naturally. I dont know if i am just being impatient or if i actually have a serious problem. I put these poor fish in this tank too early and not actually knowing what i was doing at the time. Now that they are here and i am slowly learning how this whole process is supposed to work i just want them to live.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Large back to back water changes to bring the nitrites to or under .25ppm ASAP. Have you read the articles linked above?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes. I have spent the better part of the last two weeks reading every post and every article i can find from google and various sites. I do change my water frequently but i have not done them back to back. I shall give this a try tomorrow. Thanx mums.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update...i woke up this morning and went in to feed my catfish. To my surprise the water looked like it is clearing up. The cycle finally completed i think. I will take samples and run test when i get home from work. I look forward to posting good results.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com