Cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Philip99 said:
Nope I haven't cleaned my filter in about 2 weeks

How long did you set up this tank? I think the tank has not cycled yet, so that the water is cloudy.

oscarchan2011 said:
How long did you set up this tank? I think the tank has not cycled yet, so that the water is cloudy.

The tank has been set up for about 6 months. I have new had this problem before. I only thing I have changed is that I have been using Phos pads and just stopped using them and replaced them with carbon

The tank has been set up for about 6 months. I have new had this problem before. I only thing I have changed is that I have been using Phos pads and just stopped using them and replaced them with carbon

Yah I think you are good and your tank is clearly cycled. Just take like 5 gallons out a week and it should go away. If it doesn't go away post back and I'll give you some advice on getting clear again.

xtra51 said:
Yah I think you are good and your tank is clearly cycled. Just take like 5 gallons out a week and it should go away. If it doesn't go away post back and I'll give you some advice on getting clear again.

Alright thanks a lot :)

Well, I just came back after vacation for 10 days to find a green tank :( what should I do??? Please help!

image-1290785902.jpg

jetajockey said:
Along with the water changes I'd kill the lights for a few days. What was the lighting schedule while you were gone?

The lighting schedule was 7am- 9pm. Also should I take out the blue bulb out of the fixture?

I'd cut back on the photoperiod first. Do some big water changes and then no lights at all for 4 or 5 days and then reduce photoperiod to about 6 hours. See how that goes and if you still get algae blooms you might want to take the actinic out.

I've heard conflicting information on how much actinics promote algae growth, so it's up in the air with me. The biggest issue at this point is photoperiod.

i was told that if you have green water you have too much ammonia in ur water

Well, I think I solved the problem :)
What I did was a big 90% water change and it seemed to have been getting clearer ever since, im gonna repeat a 20% water change every day until the water is crystal clear again.

Back
Top Bottom