Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhardtke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im new here, looking for little advice. I have a 55 gal dirted tank with organic miracle grow and capped with sand.
A fluval 304 with a sponge over intake and a 100 gph pre filter powerhead. I am also running co2 bout 1 bubble per second. Lighting i have 3 t8's 2 day light and 1 blue atinic bout 2 watts per gal. Last night I added water clarifier to see if that would help.

Fish:
1 bala shark
2 rainbow shark
2 redtail shark
2 drawf groumais
1 panda gara
1 giant danio
4 cherry shrimp
1 bumble bee shrimp
4 ghost shrimp

About 1/2 dozen different plants*
Tank has been up and running since early jan. Had tannins but seem to have gone away when it started to cloud up. cant tell if it is a white milky could or a very light (I mean light) green. I have been doing water changes roughly 2 times a week bout 25-30% to try and get rid of the tannins. My light is on 9-10 hrs a day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just continue to keep up on water changes, things should clear up.

Also wanted to pointed out something about your stock, giant danios is a schooling fish, you really need about 8 of those from my experience with them and the bala shark also needs to be in a group of about 5 but the problem is a bala needs a bigger tank, 5f long at least. Your tank is too small

Yeah I had 4 danio got rid of two and one jumped out of tank so have one left. Together they were getting little rough. I only had them to help cycle tank

Shpuld I leave my lights ,co2, the same an just keep up on water changes? Should I do them daily every other?

I have the same set up as you except I have no fish yet. sounds like you have algae bloom. I learned to just have your CO2 running when your light are on an airstone when they're off. Since we have a dirt tank I only run my lights 5hrs a day just to avoid the algae bloom. I've added purigen in my filter and since your water is green I would invest in a 9 watt water sterilizer. Works wonders!!

Its been a cpl days and a cpl water changes and its starting to clear up. I think I got an algae bloom because I left my co2 on all the time. So I lessened my light and have turned my co2 down. Thanks for the help rsunga73

I have the same set up as you except I have no fish yet. sounds like you have algae bloom. I learned to just have your CO2 running when your light are on an airstone when they're off. Since we have a dirt tank I only run my lights 5hrs a day just to avoid the algae bloom. I've added purigen in my filter and since your water is green I would invest in a 9 watt water sterilizer. Works wonders!!

Thanks for the advice would like to keep in contact to see each others setup and progress and or ideas and advice.

Its been a cpl days and a cpl water changes and its starting to clear up. I think I got an algae bloom because I left my co2 on all the time. So I lessened my light and have turned my co2 down. Thanks for the help rsunga73

Nice! Did you get a water sterilizer?

No but might b a future buy to help keep water clear

Heres a picture before it got cloudy, and with the tannins. Which r finally starting to clear up. I'll have to get a cpl other pics tonight

Attachments

• 1397042391492.jpg
    1397042391492.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 44
Heres a picture before it got cloudy, and with the tannins. Which r finally starting to clear up. I'll have to get a cpl other pics tonight

Get some purigen it'll clear up the tannins.

Back
Top Bottom