Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candygirl415

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just filled up my new 29g last night after getting all my plants in place. I have potting soil/clay mix on bottom, then sand, then a very light layer of small river pebbles in most places. My water was a bit dirty/muddy at first from the soil and digging down to it to put in the plants. The sand stirred up a bit as water went in. I've been digging around and stirring somewhat as I fixed the layout of disturbed sand and added larger rocks and wood, but that's been done for a few hours now. I rinsed the sand pretty good, but now I am wondering if I didn't do it enough as the whole tank is still very cloudy. How do I get it to clear up if it doesn't do it on its own? Or how long should I give it to clear up before getting concerned that it hasn't? Is there something I can add to the water to clear it? I did use Start Right to condition the water and Start Zyme.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea its going to clear up. Try using filter floss in your filter. The finer particles in the water will simply pass through the ordinary sponges in filters

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My filter is filter floss. I'm glad to know its going to clear on its own.

Yea youll be fine. Just clean your floss out regularly to prevent it clogging if theres a lot of particulates in the water

I took your advice. Did a small water change and swished out the filter. WOW! I'll post a pic soon of the progress so far.

I took your advice. Did a small water change and swished out the filter. WOW! I'll post a pic soon of the progress so far.

Wow as in better i hope?? Water changes will defo clear a tank also.

Remember once floss or the sponges clogg they become pretty useless.

Wow as in how much dirt came off when I swished it. It didn't even look that dirty.

Yea they need to be cleaned regularly. The sponges in a filter are there simply to catch dirt and debris, they wont actually clean.

Think of it as a trash can or 'bin' seeing as im english lol. It will collect the waste but you still gotta empty it

Yeah, I had been doing that on my other at water changes. This just surprised me cause it was barely over 24 hrs. It didn't look like I had stirred up THAT much dirt getting the plants in. The water looked more like sand stir up, but the filter was all dirt!

Surprising isnt it. My tank is literally all plants yet my sponges are filthy!

This where i'm at so far. There's still wood, moss, moss balls, cholla, a floating dock and wisteria to be transferred. Its a little clearer.

Attachments

• 1411414945367.jpg
    1411414945367.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 59
I have 6 african dwarf frogs, 6 ghost shrimp, and at least 6 red cherry shrimp. I had 9 rcs but Idk if they are all still there. I ordered some more though. I might in the future get a female beta or an otto cat. I'm happy with my frogs and shrimp. Love my frogs!

Back
Top Bottom