Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again, thanks everyone.

ok, I bought Fleet today...how much am I going to need to dose for the phospates to get to 1-2ppm?

Also, should I get Flourish or Flourish Trace? As I understand it, Flourish also contains Nitrates, Phosphates, and Potassium as well as trace elements. So won't that throw off all the calculations?

MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

You should get Flourish. There's not enough Nitrates or Phosphates in Flourish to care about it; for example, even if you added about 0.5ppm Fe from Flourish (this is very high micronutrient dosing), you'd only add about 0.1ppm Nitrogen.

(edited to clarify and change "trace" to "micronutrient," to avoid confusion with Flourish Trace.)

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok thanks...to the store i go!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

update - so I have been dosing with ferts (nitrates, phosphates, potassium, trace, and iron), and I cannot believe the growth in the tank...that being said, I have done a black out, but I have been doing 50-75% pwc at least every other day to keep the "greenness" down.

Then I did a crazy thing yesterday - I cleaned my filter (xp3). I dumped all the filter water into the sink, the I cleaned off the gunk from the filter pads in that water. It was so brown that I couldn't see the bottom of the sink (<2"). so gross...anyway, greenwater is pretty much gone today (a little cloudy, but I am figuring bacteria bloom from cleaning).

Then I thought about it: that was the first filter cleaning I had done since I got the filter (3 months ago ). so...note to self: clean xp3 at least once every 6 weeks! As I said, the water is still a little cloudy, but it was pretty bad at one point. So this is a miraculous turnaround. I will post some pics later today.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I haven't posted in a while on this (or anything really), and I thought I would throw out an update. I am firm believer in addressing the root cause. I no longer have any green water. No blackout, no diatom filter, no UV sterilizer. Just normal maintenance combined with fertilizing. It has been 2 months since this update, and while the water was not as green as some of the tanks that have been posted, it has completely cleared. No special treatment at all

I haven't read too many success stories on this site such as this, and since patience is one of the aquarist's virtues...
Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Glad to hear it worked out for you. That is how I conrtrolled my green water as well. Strict dosing and a lot of patience. Congratulations.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com