Cloudy Water - how long - do you wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is most likely my last option. I have moved the noodles into the lower part of the sump, as suggested by Fresh2o. Now my last option is to move some filter media from an existing planted tank - that has been running for over 5 years - my home tank. What do people think in taking filter pads - full of good bacteria, and successful tank, as it is my own, and transferring it - into my - sump tank - to help it along, and get the "bacterial" bloom sorted - should this be the issue? - Has anyone got any - objections to transfer of filter media from one tank to another?

Transferring media is probably the best way to seed a filter/tank. In your case, you know the media is coming from (healthy tank) so there should be no chance of transferring anything undesirable. I'm not sure this will resolve the cloudiness issue though.
Hopefully the rearrangement of media will help. Now if the water level drops between WCs so much that the filter pads become exposed then you may get the same outcome. I don't know the the tolerances of water levels in your sump but is there a way to increase the water volume after the next water change (or simply add more the next chance you get) so that the water level does not drop as low as it does between WCs? I suppose you can get the maximum level by shutting off the return pump and allow any drainage to fill the sump naturally. Then add as much water as you can without overflowing it. Another option is to use an automatic top off system.
Also, I am thinking that the cloudiness may not be restricted to the display tank only. In the DT you are looking at a greater volume of water with pretty decent lighting; in the sump there is less volume, different lighting, and a different colored background. It might be a matter of perception. This cloudiness looks too fine for the filter sock to pickup.

Wanted to just throw my thoughts into this. Sometimes I think we may over complicate issues in our hobby. The last time I battled cloudiness was because I switched substrates. I agree wholeheartedly that AccuClear is a great product but only a band-aid.

In the OP's situation I might decide to add an external or extra filtration source. Just to help mop up the particulate, and one can never go wrong with more media anyhow :). Also I would limit the water changes. As painful as this might sound, doing less might be beneficial. Just try to let the tank sort it self out, with helpful nudges from you of course.

I resolved my cloudiness by just letting the tank just run with minor top offs to combat evaporation. I also resorted to smaller water changes. I'm also happy to say that I kicked my AccuClear "addiction" lol. Hope my input gives you a different perspective on battling your problem.

You know, it has been a long and draining path this second tank, and I cannot remember if I had these issues with my first.. I know what you mean in relation to just letting the tank - go, as this is the way I feel about it now.. The fish are doing fine, the plants are doing fine, just the operator is not liking the view .. I may add an external filter, but this is not the purpose of the sump tank, it beats the whole purpose.. Thanks for your comments and support.. This thread will act as a timeline of how long this cloudy tank took to resolve..

You know, it has been a long and draining path this second tank, and I cannot remember if I had these issues with my first.. I know what you mean in relation to just letting the tank - go, as this is the way I feel about it now.. The fish are doing fine, the plants are doing fine, just the operator is not liking the view .. I may add an external filter, but this is not the purpose of the sump tank, it beats the whole purpose.. Thanks for your comments and support.. This thread will act as a timeline of how long this cloudy tank took to resolve..
This is my conclusion on your issue.....
The substrate you use is basically dirt and without being able to wash it, for obvious reasons, it is realising participles into the water. This will continue for a while, possibly a few months. The fact the product(forgot name!!) you use to remove the participles is removing at least some of them, is prove that after removing some of the participles, more soon come back in the tank, for me points to the substrate. To fully remove them at a pace that is noticeable, you need to improve your filtration, whether that means the sump, adding a secondary/temporary filter or just waiting it out. If it was me, I would not go for a canister, unless you have or will have use for it later. I would opt for an Aquaclear HOB filter. The bigger the better. Use the sponge that comes with it. No need for the carbon or bio media. In their place, use filter floss. Pack as much in there as possible but don't pack it in too tightly. Make sure to use floss that contains no chemicals eg, anti-bacterial or fire retardants. 100% polyester. I strongly recommend you consider this advice as I am 100% convinced it's your substrate, I had the same issue myself.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/newbies-the-power-of-filter-floss-269786.html

Ian, thanks for your reply - definitely - something to think about - however in my sump - I have so much filtration. The substrate - is around 95% covered with Belem Grass - and plants and fish are doing fine.. Your suggestion sounds like a last ditch effort, and it maybe that I try it - but I will stick it out.

On another note, I did a bit of reading in relation to testing water, and found that my levels were not being read correctly, as I FAILED to shake the regent vigorously, therefore I was getting readings of Nitrates of zero - which I was being questioned about, after shaking the regent and re-testing - my values are:

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate - 10 to 20

Patience - i think is what I need?

Well, it has been decided that I have the support from my LFS who will come in and rescape my tank, and focus on the substrate issue.. As he is also in the belief that the substrate is to blame, and as I wanted the tank scaped differently - we might as well do both.. Will keep you updated..

All, it has been a while, but with the dedication of my amazing support from my local - Aquascape talented friend and LFS, we finished re-scraping my tank.. See pics.. It was a long 13 hours of work, but I think the results speak for themselves.. Extremely proud and cloudy water gone.. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407121201.683495.jpg.. Anyone in Melbourne Australia, who hasn't seen the work of the infamous Adrian.. See www.exoticaquatic.com.au - see Facebook page of the amazing tanks.. Masterpieces..

Tank - 1

Aquascape - setup MARCH 2014

CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre

Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2

Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010

Fluval 406, cannister

Inline reactor c02, compressed

LED lighting

Not sure, however we did two changes, to the setup which may contribute.. Removed the substrate completely and put new substrate.. And, the centre weir had a bottom intake, as well as a top overflow, we sealed the bottom intake to stop bottom level intake from substrate and only allow the overflow to work.. The picture you are seeing was literally taken - 10 hours after completion.. Started at 11:00 in the morning , finished at 01:00 the next morning, and photo was taken 10 hours later..

Tank - 1

Aquascape - setup MARCH 2014

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2

Fluval 406, cannister

Inline reactor c02, compressed

LED lighting

Interesting...I'm betting the closure of the lower intake (near the substrate) played a big factor in the current clarity. BTW the scape is very impressive.

I went from this tank to this tank in 12 hours.. Crystal clear almost instant. The sump filtration was never touched, and has been running since March 2014.. My friend from LFS www.exoticaquatic.com.au said that the Belem I was growing is the best he has seen.. Not one blade of yellow, and perfect..ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407189940.380698.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407189976.514070.jpg

Tank - 1

Aquascape - setup August 2014

UVIEW sterilizer

CO2 with inline reactor

ADA fertilising

ADA soil setup

RAZOR LED lighting

Twinstar

Tank - 2