Cloudy Water - how long - do you wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

konmanos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guys, I have a new set-up (since 5-March 2014) of a sump tank - with Belem grass, and 4 x Ottos. After the tank was cycled - 31-Mar-14, I began the planting of Belem Hair Grass, and introduced the Ottos into the tank. I have a UV steriliser, Co2 inline and enough filter media in the sump to keep the junk out. However - my water is cloudy and not at all clear. I have been doing this for years - over 20 years, and I cannot remember such an issue. The tank is pearling, and all is well - however I cannot get the water clear at all. I am fertilising using ADA ferts, daily - and water changes weekly. The only change I saw - when I introduced, with a lot of hesitation - API Accu Clear. Cleared the water for 1 x day. I am at a loss - anyone with experience - as to when to make drastic changes - or - wait it out - how long? Soil is the ADA Power Sand and Aqua Soil. I know there has been a lot said about the cloudy water, but nothing seems to work for me.. Over to the experts and thanks in advance. I will post updates - to this issue - as things change to the tank. I do not have any external filtration canisters, it is all SUMP filtration.:ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 148
Drop a bag of carbon or Purigen into your filter and it'll be clear the next day. Most mesh material isn't fine enough to remove the micro particles. Also, how often have you been running your uv?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply, I already have carbon in there, as well.. Been in there for a month.. The UV runs 8 hours per day, on the same timer as the co2.. I have looked into Purigen, and will be removing the Carbon and adding Purigen today .. Will keep you posted

It's been one day - that I installed the 250ml Purigen to the sump, which will look after - 1000 litres, but my tank is 320 litres. I will report back on clarity over the next few days.. also removed the the from activated carbon from the sump.. I think it has had its days..

Carbon doesn't tend to last but a week or two in a new system.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, for those who may be following my journey on this, today I decided to clean my sump, and remove the small bits of debris that seemed to float around and get into the return pump etc. I carefully, removed all the filter media, and did not wash it or do much with it. I just put it aside in a bucket, and then retrieved my wet/dry vacuum cleaner and sucked all the water from the sump and cleared the small bits of soil etc - that has collected over the last 3 months. I then placed all of the filter media back again, and added a FILTER sock to the outlet. So now the sump has a clean base, the old filter media, Purigen, UV steriliser, Filter Sock etc, heater, and a Twinstar. I hope that I will see a difference tomorrow morning in the clarity of the water, as I have already noticed that the Filter sock, has collected much, has changed color from the white to black of media that it is collecting. Any comments - appreciated. My only concern, maybe that I have distrurbed the cycling of the tank, which was complete, or may start or prolong the Bacteria bloom - which I think I have as well. :facepalm:

It has been around 12 hours - since I made the changes as noted above, and I must say that I have a NOTICEABLE difference. The tank has gone from a rating of 4/10 - in clarity to a 9/10 in clarity. Awaiting for lights to go on, and I will report - what the Aquarium looks like under lights.

Today, my tank has finally got to 10/10 clarity water.. In one day, the tank cleared, it could of been coincidence , bacterial bloom, over - or, the changes I made to the sump and adding filtration sock, together with Accuclear - was the trick.. To celebrate I added 20 neons and one royal whiptail, finally... 3 months and 3 weeks clarity, and the maintenance schedule of aquascaping and aquarium care can begin..will post when I am next in the office, as it is my office tank..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400870633.096861.jpg

I'm having a protein bloom on the waters surface and it's getting out of control! Any ideas?

Please tell us,,, the details of the tank,, setup etc.. By picture alone possible to advise.. If just the surface.. It may be multiple things, plant, food, filtration .. Etc

It looks like you have zero surface agitation/circulation. Only way for floaters to be filtered, is to have them dissolved into the water through agitation. A HOB filter or a powerhead aimed toward the surface would effectively resolve this.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fluval chi 5gal enheim 2215 lily glass pipes Ada Aqua soil Ada Aqua soil powder no heater used penac w growing pogostermon erectus, eleocharis mini,alternanthera reineckii mini

Co2 injected, Ada ferts

My enheim came with a straight pipes with outlets that would give me the surface agitation I need

Agree, with Schoeplein, but just need to find a balance of not having the surface agitated so much that you lose the co2.. I notice that you have an intake and outlet? That should move the water around in the tank as well as the surface..

Place a piece of surface paper to remove the surface, and see if it returns.. You need to find the source of the issue

How long has the tank been running? Are there any fish and via the lily pipes are you getting good water flow?

Back
Top Bottom