Clown Loaches not as happy with CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All,

Since I brought my pressurized CO2 system online about 3 days ago, I have noticed that my Clown Loaches have become reclusive. Usually in the mornings they are all swimming up and down the length of the aquarium in a flury, very excited. The same is typically true around feeding time. The last three days though, they have been in permenant hiding under some drift wood.

They do not look unhealthy, are not breathing hard, or showing any other signs of discomfort. Is this perhaps just a time of adaption? The other fish are not acting any differently.

The Tank water is around 110ppm (6 degrees, I think) kH, and 7.9pH. With CO2 injection the pH has come down to 7.0.

I think that your clowns are just dealing with the stress of a change in their environment. The drop in PH is enough to get them to be a little skiddish, but not overly stressed.

I look at it this way - if you run everyday on the same trail, then you have a certain amount of stamina. If you run the same trail on a mountain the next day, you won't do as well. Perhaps the increase in CO2 (and decrease in O2) causes the same effect in fish until they get used to it. So maybe they are just out of breath - so to speak. This is just my opinion.

My loaches have exhibited similar behavior over changes in the past, so I feel for you. I would expect them to get back to normal relatively soon.

aquarious said:
Does a decrease in Ph cause a decrease in O2?

Not that I am aware of - however, I have read that there is a balance between CO2 and O2 saturation in a given volume of water - therefore, if you add CO2, there will then be less O2, and you can see your fish gasping at the surface. In planted tanks with high CO2 injection, this can become the case during the night time when the plants are no longer using the CO2 up. At that time using an airstone will airate the water and out-gas some CO2.

Hopefully someone else can comment on the PH/O2 relationship.

I do not beleive there is a relationship between O2 levels and PH levels at the levels we are dealing with. CO2 and O2 are independent of each other. Did you add more light or change the amount of surface turbulence?. That small of a PH drop not cause by a KH shift should not effect the fish much.

FWIW, My loaches (YoYo and Angelicus) actually like to hangout inside my CO2 reactor. So I guess once they are used to it, it is not a problem for them. Also, my Bnose pleco goes up and eats the slime/algae right off the CO2 airstone/diffuser.

I have five Clown Loaches with similar Co2 levels as the OP. Mine never missed a step or were affected at all. But I also believe that when fish become accustomed to living in very clean, well cared for enviornments, any changes do affect them. Even when a fish lives in an 'old tank syndrom' tank, clean healthy new water and tanks can affect them.

Back
Top Bottom