co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok that is all good to know! Do all powerheads come with an air line compatibleity?

no... but the ones that dont, you could just put the co2 line behind the powerhead and it would work. It would be easier though if there was an airline hookup.

So not enough to kill my fish right? How many jugs should I have with the yeast in them?

for a 35gal? I would say you will at least need 2. More likely 3, if you are ever going to maintain 30+ppm. I wouldn't try running DIY CO2 on a tank much bigger than yours....

And no, it won't kill your fish :p

If you can't get it up and keep it up around 30ppm, than I would rather not have it. If the CO2 levels are low and unstable, but slightly above equilibrium with air, it will invite all kinds of algae growth.

O gosh I don't know if I can do all of this. Is there a kit avalable that has everything and is going to keep my tank at 30ppm

yes. A pressurized Co2 system... somewhere around $160 and you could have that up and running.

DIY on your tank would work, but like I said, I wouldnt try it on anything bigger... and if you run DIY you have to keep up with the mixture changes, or it can cause problems quickly.

pressurized is really the only way to keep a steady supply of co2.... and its not all that expensive really. I paid $89 for my regulator with bubble counter, needle valve, and co2 tubing... $50 for my cylinder, and about $10 for my drop checker... then I made my reactor. So, about $150 for enough co2 to last you probably close to a year.

Is there some kind of device that will regulate the co2 output to keep it at exactly 30ppm. (I don't want algae)

If you setup a pressurized system, yes. a pH controller will keep it exactly at whatever you want it to be at.

a pH controller will. But, that makes the price go up to $189 for the regulator/bubblecounter/needle valve/tubing/pH controller... so more like $250.

But, you don't get co2 swings once you get your co2 right with the configuration I have.

EDIT: Yet again, fort beat me

Could you possibly give me a list of everything that I would need or a website that has a walk through?

That is absolutely everything I would need? Would the power head be good enough to keep up with this set up

Yeah, whichever you prefer... the reactor would probably be cheaper (i think i have about $10-15 in mine).

If you get a pH controller, you don't have to have the drop checker, though its good for peace of mind.

I wish you could just come to my house and build it for me! I still don't know what a drop checker is... sorry I am so dumb!

Back
Top Bottom