co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering, can anyone give me some advice and useful tips of co2 system in the aquarium. I understand it is part of the plant life cycle. But any information of any kind would be grateful.

I am currently in the rebuild mode of 2 tanks. My 55gallon Malawi build. I currently have a thread in cichlid forum about it. Quick run down, Mbuna/driftwood/rocks/sand and gravel combo substrate/2 t8 18in plant growth bulbs. Plant stock ideas, Anubias/Java Fern, and I have been suggested to use Jungle Val as well.

And the other is a 20gallon tall tank. Betta tank, but I want it to be focused on plant life. Again, t8 18in plant growth bulb. Not sure on plant stock or substrate but any suggestions and I would be thankful. My primary focus is the 55gallon.

My questions regarding co2 and lighting. With the stock ideas from above, which tank would be more beneficial if any to a co2 system? And with my ideas for the 55gallon plants, would my lighting be sufficient?

Thank you AA!

I dont know if your Malawi tank will support plants - as they typically will gobble them up on you?

I would start doing a DIY setup with your 20 gallon. 2 liter pop bottles, Yeast, Sugar and luke-warm water. Drill a hole in the top, glue in some air hose and put a stone ont he end of it at the bottom of your tank.

Its only needed if you have higher lighting, which is also easier (read: Cheaper) to obtain in your 20 gallon.

Its a slippery slope - High light = Things "happen" faster. (aka Algae)

Also look at dosing. I use Flourish Excel, and with the lighting I have, It's allowed me to avoid CO2.

Yea I figured the co2 would be useless in the 55 setup. I really only want a few plants in this one just to gives a little extra livelihood. So really I got what I needed and that was fr at least one person to give the word. The co2 system should be in Monday, so I'll keep you all informed when that tank is starting.

If you use co2 and high lighting I would reccomend dosing fertilizers

Would you consider what I have as bright light? Each light is 15w that's only 30w of light for the whole tank. I thought that was extremely low light?

I'm still learning the basics when it comes to live plants. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as books or web sites to research? Thank you.

Hey so today I picked up my CO2 bio system by red sea.'this is going to work great with the 20g tall tank. Now it's time to start the plant stock.

The co2 system setup is going to workout great. And it's a super easy setup. And it was only $50! And it includes everything needed, silicone tubes, pump and everything needed!

Plants chosen, it's a pretty simple stock...
Foreground: Java Moss
Midground: Hygrophila Polysperma
Background: Aponogeton Undulatus

Fish stock:
1:2ratio Siamese fighting fish
4 Pangio Kuhlii

Let me know what you think!?!?

Siamese fighting fish should be kept on their own unless they have HUGE amounts of space (a 20 gallon, well planted, with a hiding spot)

They basically just piss eachother off until one dies.

Java Moss will grow like a weed and clog your filters - It has NO light requirements (I've had Javamoss grow in an unlit betta tank at work - Just with ambient light)

Ive had these betta for a little while now. They seem to act fine together, I'm adding live plants and Kuhlii loach to there tank. They seem just fine right now. One male and two females. I've seen them develop bubble nest and interact, but they never look angry or fight. Idk, maybe it's personality thing? Dunno, I'll post pictures when I get the plants in.

Back
Top Bottom