Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Co2

I was think of doing a co2 system for my 15 gallon aquarium. I was thinking of doing a sodastream co2 kit or using a fluval co2 kit. I don't won't to have a full pressurised co2 system as I am not willing to spend $250+ just for a co2 system. Resources are limited as I live in Australia.
Thanks for all your help
Baydo

Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydo View Post
I was think of doing a co2 system for my 15 gallon aquarium. I was thinking of doing a sodastream co2 kit or using a fluval co2 kit. I don't won't to have a full pressurised co2 system as I am not willing to spend $250+ just for a co2 system. Resources are limited as I live in Australia.
Thanks for all your help
Baydo
I was in the same boat you are in, I started out with a soda bottle and used that for about a year until I bit the bullet and went pressurized.

I know money is not a luxury in most cases, but after I switched man did it make my life easier.

Look up systems that will work on paintball tanks, I got a budget one and 8 years later it is showing its age, but it still works. A 24 once paintball tank would last me most of a year on a 15 gal.

Price out the ingredients or cartridges multiplied by how many refills you will need per year, the cost can add up to a pressurized system in shorter time than you think. Around me I can either buy a one pack or a three pack for the same cost, $30. If I used 1 per month, I would be at $120 a year plus $130 for the kit. So basically what a full pressurized system is. Check local ads, you can find some used units usually.

I'm from Canada which makes most things almost twice as expensive as the States, so I know your pain when looking for hardware.

Think of a pressurized system as more than just CO2, it really allows for stability and consistency which is far more important in the health of a tank.

Either one you mentioned can suit your needs, you will be battling with trial and error until you get it right though.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #3

Which one would you recommend would be the best for my needs, with the fluval one I can just by the sixteen gram threaded catridge for bikes which cost me around twenty dollars for twenty of them. As with the sodastream it's a twenty dollar refill at my local shops. If I do use sodastream as there any regulators that you would suggest for under a hundred dollars. Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

We have a couple of members here from Australia who’ve been down this route and could possibly provide some recommendations.
I’m still using the same AquaTek regulator and paintball tank I got almost 4 years ago. Reg was $89 USD, tank was about $25. And there’s the tubing, check valves, diffuser, and drop checker you should factor in.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #5

I would like to do a paintball setup but a paintball tank is like $80 and there is no were near me that refills them.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be honest the fluvals a waste of time. Doesn’t come with a solenoid so u need to adjust the bubble count every day when u turn it on. Makes it easy to forget.

Your better off with a small bottle and a cheap regulator. Keg king make one for aquariums that is half alright. Not the best quality but I haven’t had any problems with it so far.

Keg king also sell the bottles, u can get the bottles filled at home brew stores.

Reg, https://keg-king.com.au/co2-cylinder...oid-valve.html

If u want to go the sodastream route here’s an adapter https://www.ebay.com.au/i/372139030740

You may even be able to rent bottles from BOC or Nubco?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #7

Co2

Would you recommend the soda stream route as this seems to work for me the best. I know a full pressurised system would be cheaper and easier in the long run but I'm not willing to spend that much money. I have found a solenoid on eBay, would you recommend it or is it just Chinese [edit]”stuff”.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydo View Post
Would you recommend the soda stream route as this seems to work for me the best. I know a full pressurised system would be cheaper and easier in the long run but I'm not willing to spend that much money. I have found a solenoid on eBay, would you recommend it or is it just Chinese [edit]”stuff”.

Thanks

Is it a wyin regulator? I’ve heard mixed results about them to be honest some say they are ok others say they jam and gas fish. I’ve always been worried about cheaper products that are holding back 500psi of pressure. I have visions of bottles flying around my house lol

One thing about the sodastream is when u screw the reg on u need to do it fast or the gas start leaking out and the bottle freezes over. Make sure you really crank it on there hard and fast

Tags
co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com